Greetings =]

ScarletSunshine

Reaction score
I come from the planet...

Hah just kidding. Seeing as I'm not really a forum person anymore and my job makes it impossible to be on the computer as often as I'd like I don't really expect to be here all that often, but seeing as I just purchased my first android phone [the Droid 2 Global] I figured it would be a good idea to have a place I can go to learn some things.

After browsing around I did have one question so far: Is it really ok to hack the operating system of the phone? Wouldn't that invalidate the warranty should something go wrong with the phone..?

Looking forward to learning all the ins and outs of this new system!

Cheers,
Amanda

J

Johnly

I come from the planet...

Hah just kidding. Seeing as I'm not really a forum person anymore and my job makes it impossible to be on the computer as often as I'd like I don't really expect to be here all that often, but seeing as I just purchased my first android phone [the Droid 2 Global] I figured it would be a good idea to have a place I can go to learn some things.

After browsing around I did have one question so far: Is it really ok to hack the operating system of the phone? Wouldn't that invalidate the warranty should something go wrong with the phone..?

Looking forward to learning all the ins and outs of this new system!

Cheers,
Amanda
I have never heard of warranty denial due to a root. I even think that is has been deemed fair by the FCC. Technically, maybe:icon_ banana:

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Yes, hacking the phone" rooting" it definatly voids the warranty. However if you do your homework on the subject and completly customizing ur phone sounds like something u would like to do....this is the place to learn and execute :) enjoy ur stay, and welcome

sent with my thumbs

J

Johnly

Yes, hacking the phone" rooting" it definatly voids the warranty. However if you do your homework on the subject and completly customizing ur phone sounds like something u would like to do....this is the place to learn and execute :) enjoy ur stay, and welcome

sent with my thumbs
Homework is good. Rooting and Jailbreaking are perfectly legal. No reason to spread fear. Not a soul has been denied warranty for root:icon_ banana:
Fair Use Jailbreaking, Ripping, Cracking Now Legal in US

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
This is the best place to get you droid quetions answered.
As for rooting it does invalidate your warrenty but you can unroot. Which no one will be the wiser as long as you change every thing back to stock. Although I am not sure if there is a SFB file for the Droid 2 Global yet.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the rooting issue. Thanks for the link Johnly.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
S

ScarletSunshine

Reaction score
Okay... so two different answers so far, this should be interesting. Though I'm sure if I asked verizon if I hacked their phone they would probably tell me that it would void the warranty.

jimmydene84

Reaction score

sent with my thumbs
Homework is good. Rooting and Jailbreaking are perfectly legal. No reason to spread fear. Not a soul has been denied warranty for root:icon_ banana:

Not flaming anyone...but I was denied a warranty when I messed up my first droid about 8 months ago. Maybe things have changed since then. I had to file the claim under insurance because verizon or motorola would not honor the warranty since I rooted the phone and caused a malfunction besides normal use or fluke hardware failure
sent with my thumbs

OP
S

ScarletSunshine

Reaction score
Hmm so that link is definitely an interesting read. Well it seems that at least until 2013 it should be fine to hack it... Thanks for that at least.

At the moment however I think figuring out how the damn thing works first is probably a good idea before I start messing with it. Haha

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Read the link Johnly provided. Im not sure when this went in to effect.
Also I can guarantee that if you ask Verizon about rooting they will tell you that it voids your warrenty. Its just like them telling everybody that task killers are necessary on an android phone, which they are not.

J

Johnly

sent with my thumbs

Not flaming anyone...but I was denied a warranty when I messed up my first droid about 8 months ago. Maybe things have changed since then. I had to file the claim under insurance because verizon or motorola would not honor the warranty since I rooted the phone and caused a malfunction besides normal use or fluke hardware failure
sent with my thumbs
Your supposed to unroot it silly:icon_eek: Unless it is a hardware failure, then they won't be able to tell, though now, it is legal.

We all agree, and have said nothing contrary. It is "technically" wrong, but I beg you do define that by reading the warranty. Three months ago, it was deemed fair. It is legal now, and no longer a liable issue. The market can root, and unroot your phone. really, it isn't worth worrying or debating. 90% of the time they re-flash the phone, and then test. They don't have time to investigate every matter on a software level.

J

Johnly

Read the link Johnly provided. Im not sure when this went in to effect.
Also I can guarantee that if you ask Verizon about rooting they will tell you that it voids your warrenty. Its just like them telling everybody that task killers are necessary on an android phone, which they are not.

True, and we all know how bad Task killers are.