GPS Problems

stevo95

Reaction score
Anyone else having GPS problems? Since I got the Bionic, I am unable to get a GPS lock from "cold". Once I get a signal, I can get a lock for the rest of the day but from a cold start, it will not pick up a signal unless I mess about with the phone considerably. I need to turn GPS on/off, turn location on/off and then eventually after a few minutes, I get GPS.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it related to aGPS, because when I lose data, I cannot get GPS at all.

Thanks

gsDroid

Reaction score
Try the free GPS Status app in the market. It always seems to get a good, relatively quick satellite lock. Once locked, everything else gps related works.

OP
S

stevo95

Reaction score
Try the free GPS Status app in the market. It always seems to get a good, relatively quick satellite lock. Once locked, everything else gps related works.

Thanks, will give it a try.

Does anyone know how the GPS/aGPS is setup with the Bionic? With the Droid, even when I lost data I could get GPS signal but it seems on teh Bionic that is not the case.

Martain

Reaction score
I was having occasional GPS issues, but for me it's where GPS was showing me as being. I'm in PA, but from time to time, when I pull up a map or go to post on FourSquare, I'm showing as being in the middle of Indiana. I found that there were three different location services running on the phone. Since I turned off two, I haven't noticed this happen again. Not sure which one was causing the issue.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the GPS/aGPS is setup with the Bionic? With the Droid, even when I lost data I could get GPS signal but it seems on teh Bionic that is not the case.
The aGPS is location based on triangulation of cell towers and is approximate. GPS is an actual gps receiver that using multiple satellites can get your location down to a few feet or yards. GPS will use information available from the cell tower triangulation to help lock onto the satellites. Data availability is not necessary for the GPS lock.

OP
S

stevo95

Reaction score
The aGPS is location based on triangulation of cell towers and is approximate. GPS is an actual gps receiver that using multiple satellites can get your location down to a few feet or yards. GPS will use information available from the cell tower triangulation to help lock onto the satellites. Data availability is not necessary for the GPS lock.

Right, but what system does the Bionic use, one or both? It seems strange that I cant get a GPS lock without data and I am wondering if this is somehow linked to the problem with data switching off.

OP
S

stevo95

Reaction score
Still having major GPS problems. Yesterday I had the "location" icon flashing in the notification area for the first time (no idea why) and I was getting a GPS fix in a few seconds, even indoors. Later in the day, it stopped appearing and I am back to square one.

I am getting desperate, I rely on GPS so much for my job and I cannot get it to work reliably. Basically, cannot reliably get a signal without major messing about - turn GPS on/off, turn plane mode on/off, turn WiFi on/off, from cold waiting for around 2-3 mins before getting a lock. When I am driving, if I lose the data signal, the GPS signal is lost within a few secs as well and at times, I cannot get it back.

I have downloaded GPS status, GPS Test and GPS Fix, none are resolving the problem in any way.

Does anyone have any suggestions, would be extremely grateful :-(

ccdroidx2

Reaction score
Lately I've been getting incorrect GPS readings on my dx2. Usually in my weather bug app but also in Google maps and navigator. I'm on 2.3.4. Is this related to what some have mentioned about the Compass getting reversed?

Sometimes weather bug puts my where I am, other times at two different locations (always the same two locations).

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Do you have two locations set on the widget? That may be the problem. Try and go into manage apps and clear cache/data on the weather widget and re-set up the weather widget itself. Hope this helps.

sent from my Droid Charge 2.3.6

jduale51

Reaction score
It happened to me a several weeks ago after a Weather Bug update download. In at least 3 apps using GPS it put me about 120 miles to the SE. Clearing data on the apps was no help. I finally had to remove Weather Bug, and the problem later corrected itself.

ccdroidx2

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. For now I've removed weather bug (after clearing cache and data) and restarted. We'll see if that does it.

I did find someone on weather bug's forum that said he can connect someone with this problem tot the right person to solve it. I haven't bothered with that yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Remmy700P

Reaction score
Website
www.pesisolar.com
Current Phone Model
DROID Turbo
Download "GPS Status & Toolbox" from the Android Market. Click the phone menu button, select 'Tools', then run the three calibration tools ('Compass Calibration', 'Calibrate pitch and roll', and 'Manage A-GPS state'. Hopefully, that will provide some relief.