GPS location not correct

jarby

Reaction score
Hello all......

Has this ever happened to you....all of a sudden my phone started reporting that I was in Fox River Grove, Illinois. ??? On my maps, weather.....everything. !! :icon_eek:

WTF? I'm in western Pennsylvania!

I did a battery pull, reboot after reboot, *228 phone call to reactivate numerous times, messed with the settings, etc............

So as a final effort, I got in my car and turned on the maps and drove around and it finally reset..

What in the world what have caused this?!? Because I REALLY don't want to deal with this again.

Thanks for any info.

OP
jarby

jarby

Reaction score
I thought I was hacked. Is that even possible?

OP
jarby

jarby

Reaction score
was this today? Or is this just a random glitch that just happens.

Like I cared what the weather was like in Fox River Grove...and when I mapped it, it actually put me on a Crescent Road.... ???

so........odd.

JCo352

Reaction score
This happened to me once when traveling from northeast Texas to Florida, I was in Louisiana, and it showed me below Houston about to drive into the Gulf. I rebooted and the problem was fixed, I have also heard that moving the phone in a figure eight pattern helps.

pilot25

Reaction score
I have had that happen a few times here in DC. It would show me in Iowa. I think maybe they are doing something with the system or we don't have proper satellite coverage.

After the last update I have noticed it takes the device a lot longer to pinpoint my location and even only gets me within 20 meters when it would be within 2 meter before.

OP
jarby

jarby

Reaction score
That's just weird, but I guess it makes sense.

I was checking around where it had me on GPS and saw Crystal Lake......I was starting to think that Jason was coming for me.

But it's all good now. I was just wondering if it was something I did or a rogue app or something.

Mary614

Reaction score
Mine just started doing this, also, after working correctly for 7 months or so.

I've been trying to pinpoint the symptoms, but, I noticed it first using the "My Location" in Weatherbug. Next, I saw the same wrong info under the News & Weather from Google.

After perfect accuracy, it suddenly moved me from Idaho to New Mexico. The best I can figure so far is, it goes nuts shortly after selecting "Use Wireless Networks" in addition to "Use GPS" under the main settings (Settings>Location&Security). It's as if the network signals are somehow screwing it up.

Last night, after getting good "Maps" info with just "GPS" ticked, I added "Use networks", and it soon parked me on a hill near I-40 in New Mexico again. As much as I love NM, this phone has never been there.

It's really infuriating. I NEED accurate weather/maps info in my work, and this ain't cutting it.

Verizon spent several hours today trying to help me, but, so far nothing works. They're calling back tomorrow, to keep trying.

It's a real mystery, because the phone worked superbly until these last few weeks.

moto droid, 2.2.1.

mack19318

Reaction score
Mine is crazy too! Once tried to have me go all the way into illinois when I was just trying to find a new restraunt in millwaukee. Lots of times in full 3g service area the geolocation notification goes off.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App