"My Location" has suddenly flipped out

Mary614

Reaction score
Any ideas? My Droid just recently went bonkers in any place where "My Location" was used -- Weatherbug, News & Weather from Google, and just last night, Maps -- and abruptly announced we were in New Mexico, not Idaho.

After lots of online reading, and an entire day with Verizon today, no one seems to know why it would do this. I've been thrilled with its accuracy and performance, up until now. (These features worked perfectly all around the western US, all summer, and then in Idaho, most of the fall.)

As far as I can tell, it goes weird after I choose "Use Wireless Networks" in addition to "Use GPS satellites" under the 'Location & Security' spot in Settings. It initially shows the correct location, but, somehow, it goes back to NM at some point.

It's really not acceptable, and Verizon has promised to make it right, but... has anyone else had this problem? Specifically, that it goes bad after selecting "use networks" to help figure out where it is?

Thanks much. This is driving me crazy. :icon_cussing:

[motorola droid, v 2.2.1]

(P.S. I did find the earlier posts with the fixes of messing with the SD card to fix the GPS, etc. So far, the GPS shows strong signals, but, I'll check that out if Verizon stays unable to help me.)

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Yep, I live in Virginia and Weather Bug and The Weather Chanel sometimes say I am in Freeport Bahamas.

Usually very accurate they place my "little me icon" right over my house out here in the sticks. Beats me why it happens, I have been waring with Verizion that the local tower is messed up for a year now. I can drive five miles up I85 to the next tower and everything is perfect again.

I even had to go to slow Hughes Net for internet when my air card stopped working. I installed a 40 foot tower with a Wilson Directional Duel band antenna at the top and hooked that up to an amp/repeater in the house. Most of the time I get perfect full bars and 3G works great. But there are times I only get 1X even with the antenna/amp. I need this to make my D2 work in the house.

I am pretty sure it is the tower fluctuating its signal.

OP
M

Mary614

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. It's so bizarre how this just started up, but it sure seems tied to the "Use wireless networks" choice being checked. It takes about 20-30 minutes (as far as I can tell) for it to "move its brain to NM" after I select that option "on". <Sigh.>

Does anyone in here have an opinion on whether "wiping" my phone would even have an effect on this problem? That's what Verizon offered as the next step yesterday; I'm waiting for them to call me back today. I'd rather not do that if it's not going to be a total cure, yet, I'm pretty unhappy that the phone I loved so much for its amazing reliability has lost its marbles now.

Thanks very much for the help. This has been frustrating. Thanks!

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Well, if you wipe let me know how it works. I too have a reluctance to that route as I have stated, I think it is a tower problem related to "Use wireless networks".