GPS and lack of cell service

bassJAM

Reaction score
I've been contemplating getting rid of my Garmin GPS now that I've got the TB, but a buddy of mine says that most phones use the data connection to load map data. A lot of the time I'm using the GPS I'm in the mountains were I don't get any cell service. Will the GPS still function if I've lost a cell signal?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating getting rid of my Garmin GPS now that I've got the TB, but a buddy of mine says that most phones use the data connection to load map data. A lot of the time I'm using the GPS I'm in the mountains were I don't get any cell service. Will the GPS still function if I've lost a cell signal?

I don't understand the question. Does GPS work differently? Doesn't it use data just like the phone?

OP
bassJAM

bassJAM

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I think for now I might hold onto my Garmin. There's times in the Smoky mountains that I won't have a cell signal all day, so I guess I can't rely on all the maps I need being cached. I guess I'll know for sure in May when I go down there for my annual fishing trip.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Never hurts to have a backup. Id hate to be lost in the mountains.

hoppyjr

Reaction score

It depends on which GPS navigation app you're running. I believe Google Maps does store the map data for the specific route you are traveling, but that does you no good if you decide to change direction or search other areas while out of cell coverage area. I am using the Navigon app from the Market. I have used Navigon on my Droid Incredible, Droid X, and iPhone (different app, but very similar) and had excellent results. It downloads the entire US and Canada onto your SD card, so all maps are always available for use, even when out of cell signal areas (this is what is referred to as "offline use"). The app itself is great, with lane-assist (shows you which lane to be in, which is very helpful when approaching freeway junctions, etc), live traffic (paid option, one-time fee but works well), and panorama view. I am not associated with the Navigon company, I'm just a happy customer.

Hope this helps.

Hoppy