cell phone as emergency GPS beacon

sunnygrant

Reaction score
I found the forum when I was looking for an app to use my cell phone as an emergency GPS beacon. The forum had a thread titled Emergency Scenarios With No Signal, which indicates that the cell phone and GPS signal can't be used that way.
I do a lot of hiking in 9,000ft high mountains, where there is no cell phone service. Always hike with a friend, but if one of us were hurt, it would be tough for the other one to get help back before dark.
As it turns out, I work for my local city and county, and know emergency and search and rescue personnel well, so I will ask them if there is any way a cell phone app could be configured to send a 9-1-1 beacon in an emergency where there is no cell service.
There is apparently an app for the iPhone -- Emergency Distress Beacon Cell Phone ap -- but I suspect it works when you have cell service - textually.org: Emergency Distress Beacon cell phone app
Also, I just downloaded MyTracks app. and am wondering how/if it will work with no cell service.
I've had my Droid for over a year, and just haven't taken the time to fool with it much. I was really irritated that it wouldn't complete a phone call just with voice dialing (you have to tap the OK button to actually make the phone call), until I just discovered CAR PHONE which completes the phone call hands-off. Yay!
Sunny

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont believe this is possible... Sounds cool if it was. I beleive some phones have different type of gps. like cGPS or something that works off the 3g network. IT does use gps but it needs the 3g to work. I beleive this is a feature becuase on regular gps units it takes some time to aquire a signal to the satellite. Its much faster on our phones. My guess would be to buy a tom tom or something of that nature that has true GPS and can get a signal on top of the mountain. And if your on a wicked mountain such as everest...id suggest a good old expensive sat phone.

OP
S

sunnygrant

Reaction score
Too old and decrepit to do "wicked" mountains. Am truly blessed that merely incredible mountains exist in my backyard.
I expect to use my Droid for GPS navigation when I take long car trips, so hope to not have to purchase a real (i.e., dedicated) GPS unit.
So, for now, we'll just pray for good footing <grin>.
But thanks for the reply and if you or I discover anything new and different, we'll be in touch.
Sunny

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Too old and decrepit to do "wicked" mountains. Am truly blessed that merely incredible mountains exist in my backyard.
I expect to use my Droid for GPS navigation when I take long car trips, so hope to not have to purchase a real (i.e., dedicated) GPS unit.
So, for now, we'll just pray for good footing <grin>.
But thanks for the reply and if you or I discover anything new and different, we'll be in touch.
Sunny

lol, I see what your saying. Im in AZ, i love hiking on the trails here. Really good Mountains to climb. And i must correct myself from earlier post dGPS is what i was referring to. cGPS is a school lol. When i go hiking i bring my phone just in case but a good 70% of time i get 0bars and no 3g. If you do get stuck out their at least you have a friend. Maybe invest in a flare gun? (lots of cool factor in those.)