Governors for D4?

Cstryon

Reaction score
Are there any governors for the D4? If not, which would be the best governor out of the 4 stock ones that come with Hashcodes CM9?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
From what I know (had a D3 prior to my nexus) is that governors on stock moto devices aren't meant to be changed. I actually noticed some lag on the ondemand governor. So if moto_hotplug is default I'd leave it at that but feel free to try a change. Its not like you're flashing kexec and switching kernel's so can't really harm your phone (maybe)

Cegal

Reaction score
I've been using the ondemand governor since day 1. The biggest difference is that ondemand keeps all your volts as low as possible until needed (on demand) and the motohotplug keeps around half of them firing at all times. So depending on how frequently you pick up your phone and use it, ondemand could potentially save you battery, otherwise I would leave it on the moto hotplug. Same idea with a juice defender, if you use it a lot then it drains more battery turning things on and off.

bofis

Reaction score
So how does one even install other governors on the Droid 4?? Has anyone used them with with GB?

grizzy3

Reaction score
So how does one even install other governors on the Droid 4?? Has anyone used them with with GB?

I don't think there is a way to install them. They're included with the kernel I believe. You can access them with cpu control apps like no frills cpu and choose from the options it gives you.

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
I don't think there is a way to install them. They're included with the kernel I believe. You can access them with cpu control apps like no frills cpu and choose from the options it gives you.
Grizzy, do you know of any kexec projects, or kernel projects/threads around?

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
Thanks, doesn't look like much happening yet, but I will keep an eye on it!

bofis

Reaction score

Well you can't install other governor's without modifying the kernel, I don't think...but the Droid4 seems to come with mot_hotplug, hotplug, ondemand, userspace, and performance governors which can be set in No-Frills CPU Control (which is free from the Market/Play Store). Unfortunately, it is my understanding that other than mot_hotplug and hotplug, none of the others will even activate the second core. ondemand works, but it'll keep core 1 at 300mhz unless needed and then ramp it right up to 1200mhz, but that core2 will remain inactive, which might save you on battery, but it also might not if the first core just has to work twice as hard to complete something. I'm testing out the stock hotplug now and will compare with how the phone performed under ondemand and mot_hotplug (the default that ships with the phone)