got my droid wet, still works, but no screen

AMDintel

Reaction score
well i went fishing 2 days ago and slipped and got my droid 1 wet. filled with water. i wasn't sure what to do so i didn't take out the battery because when i first checked it after it got wet, everything was still working. long story short;

anyhow, it's been 2 days now and the phone is still working like normal except the screen is lost. i didn't get insurance so i was wondering if anyone has had their screen replaced/repaired and how much am i looking at.

thanks in advance for your help...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
No chance of fixing it yourself. How long have you had your phone? If it's less than a month you can get it put on by Verizon. If it's more than a month your only chance is a Square Trade insurance policy, and that's $200 out the door.

OP
A

AMDintel

Reaction score
No chance of fixing it yourself. How long have you had your phone? If it's less than a month you can get it put on by Verizon. If it's more than a month your only chance is a Square Trade insurance policy, and that's $200 out the door.
I've had it for 14 months now. My plan now is to get use a friend's 2 year renewal and get the Droid X for $200 this coming 9/29/2010.

But since my Droid still works, I'm hoping that I can somehow get the screen fixed. Funny thing is I can remember how to use the phone without seeing the screen. I use the ESPN radio app and I am able to listen to it by memory.

:welcome: to the forum!

I'm shocked you haven't fried it if you didn't remove the battery and get it dry completely.

It's probably too late but take a look at this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

If it IS fried I'm sorry but you're probably SOL if you don't have insurance. Good luck!
Thank you! I think that is a good post but yeah, it may be too late. The first day, I had water inside the screen and now it has dried up. I'll take it to my local Verizon center and see if they can do anything with it. Do you guys think they can help?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What phone do you have if you've had it 14 months? The Droid family only started November of 2009. You are out of luck with your phone. I hope the lesson learned is you will pay the $6 per month for insurance next time.

OP
A

AMDintel

Reaction score
What phone do you have if you've had it 14 months? The Droid family only started November of 2009. You are out of luck with your phone. I hope the lesson learned is you will pay the $6 per month for insurance next time.
I don't know the exact date when I got the Droid 1. But it's like a few weeks after it first came out. Anyhow, I was only going by my 2 year contract as, I've got 10 months remaining so 2 years would mean 24-10= 14 months so far. I know I should of got the insurance and surely now if I get the Droid X, I will definitely get the insurance.

I've never bought insurance before so, will I continue to pay $6 per month for as long as I want to keep the phone right? Or do I finish paying after so many years?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Actually, the new every 2 program seems to run 18 months for smart phones. At least mine does. I got mine in May and it's saying I can upgrade in January.

OP
A

AMDintel

Reaction score
Actually, the new every 2 program seems to run 18 months for smart phones. At least mine does. I got mine in May and it's saying I can upgrade in January.
Mine is 24 months. There's a graph chart on my Verizon page depicting as

24 --- 18 --(currently here, 9 months left now)- 12 --- 6 --- 07/25/2011

I have a two part question. Since I don't have the screen anymore,

1. how would I go about to recover all my contacts
2. is there a way to read my full txt messages

I know I can read my logs from Verizon for phone numbers but still I wouldn't know whose number it is.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The contacts will be recovered as long as you had them backed up with Google and Sync enabled. The texts are lost unless you backed them up to the SD card.

And I meant January 2012 for me. :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
@ AMDintel: I've got one word for your screen problem: ebay.

I was checking them out the other day to see what droid 1's were selling for and saw a few replacement screens for sale. However, that would require some pretty specialized tools and such.

good luck

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

I was checking them out the other day to see what droid 1's were selling for and saw a few replacement screens for sale. However, that would require some pretty specialized tools and such.

good luck
That's why I said no way to do it himself. I was looking at it too because a Droid Eris with a cracked screen came up and I thought -- cheap phone and a friend who needs one...

Go ahead and take a look before you decide. If you have the tools and knowhow, go for it! Heck, type up a guide.

OP
A

AMDintel

Reaction score

good luck

The weird thing the touch screen works but I just have no display on the mirror finish screen. I have a feeling even a replacement screen won't fix it. Maybe something is wrong with the wiring or connection to the screen. I have no idea. LOL.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I remember reading up on an app issue that would send your phone's screen totally black.

Do you have any widgets or apps running on your phone that might have done that?

OP
A

AMDintel

Reaction score
I remember reading up on an app issue that would send your phone's screen totally black.

Do you have any widgets or apps running on your phone that might have done that?

No, I highly doubt that. When it first got wet, I could see that the screen's brightness went down to something that I can barely see, a very dark and dim screen. Now, I have nothing, just my face in the screen.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So you have an iPhone now? ;)

Okay. Something shorted, and it could be the LED controller... but you'd be able to see SOMETHING in the screen if the screen was working at all. The capacitor for the touch screen work differently.