Got another battery question/concern for all you pros out there =)

viper689

Reaction score
So I had a pretty decent portion of my battery left on the charge last night so I decided not to plug it in overnight, but when I woke up this morning I discovered that the charge lost 24% on the battery even though I wasn't using it. It dropped all the way from 47% to 23%. I was shocked since I hadn't really experienced that kind of loss over a span of 7 hours of non use.

Now upon looking at what was killing the battery my phone woke up at various times during the night, while the screen was off. I had 4g/LTE off, WiFi off, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, and everything else, all off. So needless to say, I was a little surprised.
View attachment 46384View attachment 46385

Now a few hours later while I was at work, after a quick charge, you can see the same thing happen under the same conditions. I hadn't even looked at my phone for an hour or so, but battery was dying because it was waking up while not being used. Also if you look at the things that are killing the battery are the display (which was off), and the Android OS
View attachment 46386View attachment 46387.

The only long term running app I have is LightFlow. I am not rooted, I'm just running the stock Galaxy Nexus as purchased from the Verizon store so nothing fancy there. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

doublea500

Reaction score
try disabling some google apps such as g+ and gtalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck
[/FONT]

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh and I left off the easiest solution to the Keep Awake bug and that is to set the screen timeout to something like 30 seconds and then do not use the power button to put the phone to sleep, just let the phone timeout and turn the display off automatically.

Good luck.

OP
V

viper689

Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck
[/FONT]

Now how exactly would one go about disabling DRM content and Maps? Are these crucial for other programs to function properly, such as Music player or Navigation, respectively, because I do use those quite often. Thanks though I will try these out for sure.

Oh, and I've always had the screen timeout set to 30 seconds =)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now how exactly would one go about disabling DRM content and Maps? Are these crucial for other programs to function properly, such as Music player or Navigation, respectively, because I do use those quite often. Thanks though I will try these out for sure.

Oh, and I've always had the screen timeout set to 30 seconds =)
I disabled them with Titanium. But you can do it in Settings/Apps/All and on Maps I read you have to click the Uninstall Updates button and then a Disable button will appear. I use Navigon for navigation so I had no problem with disabling it. YMMV!!

OP
V

viper689

Reaction score
Hmm I tried disabling Maps but in the process it got rid of Navigation, and I think that's the best Navi app out there so I couldn't do without that. I've noticed game apps like Words Free and some other runs are always running when I open the running apps screen. Should I force close these?

steveinil

Reaction score
I think I may have the keep awake bug what do you think I pretty much always hit the power Boston to turn the screen off

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think I may have the keep awake bug what do you think I pretty much always hit the power Boston to turn the screen off

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Looks like you do have it. There's a lot of good info around about controlling it though.

Good luck.