Googorola Completely Withdraws ITC Patent Complaint Against Apple

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Googorola-shadowed-logo.jpeg

This has to be the most shocking news of the day, (if not the week and month). Apparently Google's subsidiary, Motorola Mobility has completely withdrawn their ITC patent complaint against Apple. In case you missed it previously, Motorola filed a complaint with the ITC attempting to ban sales of a multitude of Apple's products from sale in the United States. Supposedly, these products infringe upon seven patents held by Motorola. The case was under investigation for these claims since August 17th.

For whatever reason, Motorola asked the ITC to "terminate all claims in this investigation without prejudice," and adding that "there are no agreements between Motorola and Apple, written or oral, express or implied, concerning the subject matter of this investigation."

Right now, there is nothing but speculation as to why this might have been the case. Currently, there are only two theories that we have heard as to why this might have happened. One is that Motorola themselves somehow determined the patents were not actually being infringed and decided to withdraw the case before things made them look bad. The other is a much happier outcome, and that is maybe, just maybe, Google and Apple finally worked out some sort of licensing agreement and can begin to end the ridiculous patent wars. Wouldn't that be great?

Thanks for the tip, armeddroid!

Source: Engadget

armeddroid

Reaction score
No problem!
I'm also hearing another rumor that Motorola is having trouble finding all the documents for the case. Which I find a lil strange especially when you need those docs to make the official complaint in the first place.
I'm def hoping for the 2nd theory that Google and Apple hugged it out, wined and dined each other and decided to put an end to the patent wars.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
No problem!
I'm also hearing another theory that Motorola is having trouble finding all the documents for the case. Which I find a lil strange especially when you need those docs to make the official complaint in the first place.
I'm def hoping for the 2nd theory that Google and Apple hugged it out, wined and dined each other and decided to put an end to the patent wars.

I agree, Motorola doesn't have to say squat if Google made up with Apple. I'd like to think that Apple knew they were going to get hit hard as **** and came, begging on their knees.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Problem is since they dropped it without prejudice, without any word of a deal or cross licensing talks means it could be Moto isn't ready for this fight. Plus Samsung and Apple is still going at it which we know is evidence that agreements may not have taken place.
One theory I'm thinking is that Google told Moto to back off because soon Android OS will goto a whole new level that none of us or the world has seen yet. The designer of Android said the looks and function of Android currently is far from it's target in terms of it's goal which to me is quite inspiring in terms of Android's progress.
But herein lies the biggest problem with Android and the competition.

Google needs to address this fragmentation and get it under control in terms of updates and to have a mandate set in stone with all vendors; making sure they enforce it.

So while we ponder why Moto dropped out their case; we know due to Samsung vs Apple that no agreements have been reached in terms of Android vs Apple.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
"there are no agreements between Motorola and Apple, written or oral, express or implied, concerning the subject matter of this investigation."

Sooooo...that statement to me says that they didn't hug it out, right?