Google's Android team focused on user experience for next release

J

JohnDroid

froyoplusplus.jpg

As we all know Google has been releasing Android updates at an extremely fast pace. Long gone are the days in the cell phone industry where updates seem to happen once a year or worse.... Google has released two major updates in a 6 month period and shows no signs of slowing down. The biggest area that Google is going to improve upon in the next release seems to be in the user experience department.

What can we expect from that? Well, our hope is that Google is able to find a ton of small areas to make things more streamlined and intuitive. Why make something take 5 steps if you can do it in 3 without overloading the user with a ton of choices or buttons?

There are a million ways to improve the user experience and Google only needs to find the most glaring to make a huge impact on your daily use.

Source: Google's Android team focused on user experience for next release - Android Forum

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I agree.. Their are so many small things, that we all have adjusted to, that would make a world of difference if changed. The swipe to answer being just one .. I think we are all going to be pleased when we see the final product :)

Mojo

Reaction score
This is good news. Didnt google hire a guy that worked on palms web OS... I think we will be seeing some big things coming.

Reaction score
In my fantasy land, Verizon has the 2GHz phone at the end of the year, it comes with Gingerbread, and the Palm guy has already worked his magic with a sexy new UI. Shut up, it can happen!

missrachel

Reaction score
God I love Android! I don't even have Froyo yet and now I'm thinking about Gingebread! :heart:

I will say the one thing I truly love about my Moto Droid is vanilla Android. Do a lot of you Droid users out there plan to keep your phone for the long haul? I mean...is there really a need for hardware update? Other than the obvious added features lol... but is my Droid going to slow down by the time Gingerbread comes out? I'm a stock user BTW..! :)

:heart:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go Google...Go Google.....This is what I like to hear.

Why make something take 5 steps if you can do it in 3 without overloading the user with a ton of choices or buttons?

Exactly. I know most of yall hate the manufacture's UI's but I was reading about the TouchWiz for the Samsung Galaxy S. In Contacts, a left swipe opens a text message addressed to the contact, a right swipe called that contact. Thats nice if u ask me.

dwagner88

Reaction score
In my fantasy land, Verizon has the 2GHz phone at the end of the year, it comes with Gingerbread, and the Palm guy has already worked his magic with a sexy new UI. Shut up, it can happen!

The palm guy kinda scares me. I tried a palm pre, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to open a single menu in the five minutes I was playing with the device. I have the same problem with iOS. I am addicted to the menu button.

dagrainger

Reaction score
The most glaring issue that needs to be fixed...

I am running Froyo Simply Stunning 4.0 and I am loving it. I will say, it seems a little laggy for my taste, but that may be my high expectations.

I believe the FIRST thing Google should fix is the phone - bluetooth issue - Not being able to dial from bluetooth is a fundamental phone issue. This is after all a phone, and not being able to use the bluetooth dial feature is rediculous in my opinion...

dwagner88

Reaction score
I am running Froyo Simply Stunning 4.0 and I am loving it. I will say, it seems a little laggy for my taste, but that may be my high expectations.

I believe the FIRST thing Google should fix is the phone - bluetooth issue - Not being able to dial from bluetooth is a fundamental phone issue. This is after all a phone, and not being able to use the bluetooth dial feature is rediculous in my opinion...

Running froyo, you should know that bluetooth dialing does work now. If it isn't, something is wrong with your phone.

dagrainger

Reaction score

Running froyo, you should know that bluetooth dialing does work now. If it isn't, something is wrong with your phone.

Ummm... Uhhh... Sheepishly admiting I did not know that... Cool. thank you for letting me in on that... WOW I really do need to read more...

its.mike

Reaction score
From what I read on other sites, this is mainly to removing custom skins such as Sense & Blur so updates can roll out faster without a 3rd party having to make their skins work.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
What if instead of having to buy for example an htc phone for htc sense or motorola for motoblur, you could just go into the market and download the android skin? Would be cool...

azules9780

Reaction score
^^^^ That's a great idea. The little bit that I played with an Eris, I like the Sense interface.

Beardface

Reaction score
Well thats nice...

Unfortunately, those of us who are unrooted and on Verizon will likely see this update... oh, in about never o'clock because they'll hold back on it as long as possible while they decide which features to withhold from their users.