[Rumor] Primary Focus of Android 4.4 KitKat Could be Android TV

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-TV1-mockup.jpg

The above image is simply a mockup found on the web.

Here's an intriguing bit of intel this morning. We have a new report suggesting that Google's next OS, Android 4.4/KitKat could be designed as a bridge to facilitate Android TV and that will be its primary new focus. Not too long ago we reported that Google plans to close down Google TV and reinvent it as Android TV. This new report seems to confirm that and also shines a light on how Google plans to introduce it.

According to these rumors, the main enhancements we will see in KitKat will be geared toward Android TV. Here's a quote with more of the details,

According to the industry on October 23, Google will greatly increase compatibility with TV in the next Android OS. In particular, it will improve the interface with smart devices. It seems that Google has greatly improved the user interface (UI)/user experience (UX), which have been regarded as the limitations of the existing smart TV, and the app development environment for TV. ‘Android 4.4 KitKat,’ soon to be disclosed, is most likely to be the next OS.

A number of industry insiders said “I heard Google say ‘the next OS has greatly improved its utilization in TV. In particular, there will be many changes in the interface between smart devices and the TV.’”

In effect, Android 4.4 KitKat is a bridge between Android smartphones and Android TV, just like Honeycomb was the bridge between Android smartphones and Android tablets. What do you guys think if this turns out to be true?

Source: etnews

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
i think that chromecast is a great way for deeper market penetration due to low cost and easy setup. i look forward one day soon to getting rid of paying outrageous cable fees to watch 10 channels. bring GFiber as well while they're at it ;)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I want to use a streaming device before I buy one. I bought a Chromecast because of what it does and its price. Roku sounds pretty amazing but I'd probably buy a Google TV device before a Roku because of all the stuff I have already have for Android. I want to keep that part integrated with Android. I also want to use one to see if I have any use for it. I like having all the channels preinstalled and available. Most of the shows I watch are on the basic networks and having Netflix and Hulu, I could cut my cable bill out and save some money. The only downside are hockey games. The Sharks are broadcast on Comcast Sportsnet and though a stream is usually available, its not a guarentee and I dont' like missing a game. I'm too close to San Jose to see them on NHL GameCenter Live but too far and too broke to go to games.

xsirxx

Reaction score
I am completely STOKED! I have been using android on all my sticks already and have an old revue that couldnt really come of any use. This will be FINALLY what I have been begging for, forever!!! Also if we can get a native desktop mode, ill throw the mic down!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The primary focus should be destroying the competition... Apple and Microsoft... not letting me use my phone with a TV.
That's nice if KitKat can be used for better TV integration but what does it bring to my phone. That's all I care about.
(I already have a Roku...and love it)

boidsonly

Reaction score
I purchased the LG 55ga7900 (Google TV version)and returned it due to gamer lag and the fact it was running Android 3.2 when version 4.2 was out. I have to admit I bought it for the Google TV but was not impressed. I hope Google has improved the interface and does not leave updates to the TV manufacturers like they have the phones or it too will be a fragmented disaster.