New Info Suggests Android 4.4 KitKat Will Support Wearables, Lower End Phones & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-kitkat-cream-back.jpg

Not too long ago we shared a story that Android 4.4 KitKat might actually include built-in support for Android TV and serve as a bridge between smartphones, tablets and the future version of Google TV. If this latest news report is accurate, then Google's Android 4.4 KitKat will do even more than that. Supposedly, KitKat will also include built-in support for lower-end hardware. The word is that it will be compatible with just 512MB of RAM.

Additionally, KitKat will likely be designed with the new wearable computing trend in mind and will actually support Google Glass directly. On top of this, the newest iteration of Android will now have support for three new sensors: geomagnetic rotation vector, step detection, and step counters. Finally, a few specific features where tipped for the new OS. It appears that KitKat might include a fullscreen mode which would allow apps to be displayed edge to edge, and it could also have some new battery savings options.

Of course, as with all of the pre-launch info we have received thus far, we need to take it with a cup of salt. Some of the intel has proven accurate, but a great deal of it was simply bogus. In which category do you think this info will reside?

Source: TalkAndroid

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was excited until I realized both HTC and Verizon control the push on my Inc and Rezound. Then I was bummed. They'll never get 4.4 :(

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

stemo

Reaction score
I was excited until I realized both HTC and Verizon control the push on my Inc and Rezound. Then I was bummed. They'll never get 4.4 :(

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Neither will my razr m :-(

Iggy08

Reaction score
There was a rumor that with 4.4, updates would go through the Play Store no longer requiring carrier approval for OTA updates. I assume, if this is true, it would be starting with KitKatt and going forward. It would be awesome if it became available to anyone using the Play Store though, so keep your fingers crossed.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a rumor that with 4.4, updates would go through the Play Store no longer requiring carrier approval for OTA updates. I assume, if this is true, it would be starting with KitKatt and going forward. It would be awesome if it become available to anyone using the Play Store though, so keep your fingers crossed.

I just don't see carriers allowing this. Nexus devices I can see but not carrier enslaved models.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I'd be curious to see if it gets released for my Droid 4. If my D4 can get another OS update it'll keep it alive a bit longer.

Iggy08

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see if it gets released for my Droid 4. If my D4 can get another OS update it'll keep it alive a bit longer.

I think every Android would benefit from this update a lot. It would be like iOS 7, almost a bran new device. The problem is how to implement the update that doesn't require carrier approval. The only way is to make sure future phones have a work around, so phones before KitKatt might be out of luck :-\

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think every Android would benefit from this update a lot. It would be like iOS 7, almost a bran new device. The problem is how to implement the update that doesn't require carrier approval. The only way is to make sure future phones have a work around, so phones before KitKatt might be out of luck :-\

Imagine if Apple had sold out to carriers and manufacturers in the name of whatever instead of holding their ground. Yes the walled garden is a pain but it also stopped fragmentation. Fwiw, my wife's ipad 1 won't be getting anything newer than ios 5 .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate