Google Wireless is here

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
google_sprint_tmobile.jpg

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Google Wireless network could debut as early as tomorrow. The network is said to only work for the Nexus 6, as of now, and will be a pay per GB network. Stay tuned to the news section as we will be at the ready to bring you the latest.

Edit: Google Wireless is here (aka Project Fi)

Details:
  • Works via T-mobile and Sprint
  • $20 a month plus $10 per gig and you get back what you do not use
Request an invite: Plan Project Fi

Source: Google Set to Unveil Wireless Service - WSJ

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Just what we need.... another "pay per GB" option. Imagine how many people would jump ship from their current carrier if they offered an "unlimited only" service. LOL Even at a premium price, I bet they'd do amazingly well.
(btw. .not a fan of the whole "sign in or subscribe" to read our story tomfoolery)

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would not leave them from what I have now (At&t), but I will give them a try just to see how it stacks up against the competition.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
not a fan of the whole "sign in or subscribe" to read our story tomfoolery

I am able to read the stories without subscribing or signing in just can not respond.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd be willing to give them a go too, if either of the companies that they've partnered with at this point had service up here. Interested to see where this project goes though.

Reactions: cr6

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I wonder what the coverage will be like?
I'll check out the announcement... Couldn't be any worse than what I had with T-Mo last summer. If it's even mildly tempting I'll give it a 6 month run.

I'm crazy like that.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I wonder what the coverage will be like?
I'll check out the announcement... Couldn't be any worse than what I had with T-Mo last summer. If it's even mildly tempting I'll give it a 6 month run.

I'm crazy like that.

The rumor is that it will run off Sprint's network and T-Mobile's network, going with whoever has the strongest signal where you are at any given moment. It's also rumored to use WiFi calling to help pick up the slack in poor coverage areas.

So, cellular coverage is likely to be pretty good in metro areas, but hit or miss to poor when you're outside of metro areas.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Figures they have to pick the two worse carrier's when it comes to coverage. But I think this will be a good thing in the long term and who knows, it may even help to boost these two carriers & help with their overall infrastructure. Win/Win for all.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Can't T-mobile roam on AT&T and Sprint on VZW though? I wonder if Google's setup will allow for a similar arrangement, or if the other 2 carriers' towers will block those devices from connecting.

AFAIK, you can roam on AT&T where I'm at with a T-mobile device, but you can't get data. You could before '09 when I moved back here. Then, you couldn't even make/receive calls/texts and t-mobile swore it was an issue with roaming on AT&T's network, which I get, but they let me out of my contract since I was out of their service area. Since then, my parents have been up to visit and were at one point on T-mo. They could do calls and texts, but had no data.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I think this is a good start. Kind of makes me wish I paid off this Nexus 6 just so I can check it out and report. I have a feeling that pricing is going to be a huge factor on whether people jump ship or not, especially current holders of unlimited-grandfathered plans and such.

Reactions: cr6
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well today is tomorrow waiting to see if the source from WSJ is correct.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ITS HERE:

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Edited op to include the details and where you can request an invite.