Google Voice..

Qbert

Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker. I searched and wasn't able to find anything on topic for this so figured I'd just ask real quick.

I have my Google Voice # tied up to my phone. I also have the Google Voice app on my Droid which I much prefer using as opposed to having SMS forwarded to my cell. I can't seem to find an option to turn off the SMS forwarding within the Google Voice app or in the settings when I pull up voice.google.com on my browser - so everytime someone SMS' my GV #, I first get a text message with the content in it and then immediately afterwards, GV will again play an alert and vibrate my phone and I have to clear both the text and the GV app's alerts out of my bar.

Is there any way to make Google Voice stop forwarding my SMS messages to me without also disallowing calls?

stevo95

Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker. I searched and wasn't able to find anything on topic for this so figured I'd just ask real quick.

I have my Google Voice # tied up to my phone. I also have the Google Voice app on my Droid which I much prefer using as opposed to having SMS forwarded to my cell. I can't seem to find an option to turn off the SMS forwarding within the Google Voice app or in the settings when I pull up voice.google.com on my browser - so everytime someone SMS' my GV #, I first get a text message with the content in it and then immediately afterwards, GV will again play an alert and vibrate my phone and I have to clear both the text and the GV app's alerts out of my bar.

Is there any way to make Google Voice stop forwarding my SMS messages to me without also disallowing calls?

Go to voice.google.com

settings>voicemail & SMS>voicemail notifications> make sure your phone doesnt have a tick beside your phone number.

OP
Q

Qbert

Reaction score
While my settings screen doesn't look exactly like that, I don't believe that will fix the issue. I'm sorry if I was confusing in the OP, here's a scenario.

I give "Adam" my Google Voice number. He goes home and texts me a few hours later. First, I will receive a text, FROM Google Voice, that goes into my default SMS folder. Immediately after I receive that, the Google Voice APP on my phone will also notify me that I have a new text message. I now have two notifications in the status bar along the top, though it's the same message. Do I just need to give up and uninstall Google Voice and just do all of my SMS through the OS?

zerodamage

Reaction score
I had to go to my "phones" on the google voice website, edit my mobile phone and remove the SMS option. I did this forever long ago because I would get the same text twice.

OP
Q

Qbert

Reaction score
Alright, I'll give that a shot. Thanks much :)