Google Voice and SMS

sov1et

Reaction score
Whenever I get an SMS on my GV number, I get a notification through Google Voice and also through the default messaging app (as a 406 number). It's a nuance that I'm informed twice of a single SMS. I still need to keep notifications on for the default messaging app because I still receive texting on my non-GV number. Is it possible to have the default messaging app notify me of non-GV texts and Google Voice notify me of GV texts only?

Better yet, how do I stop getting texts from the 406 number?

Royal2000H

Reaction score
In your GV account settings online, you can set it to not forward text messages to your phone. That way you'll get GV messages only through the GV app.
Keep in mind messages through the GV app are fetched, not pushed, so you won't get them instantly like a normal message.

OP
S

sov1et

Reaction score
But I won't get calls either on my Droid if I disable forwarding, correct?

Royal2000H

Reaction score
Go to phones, click Edit for your cell, Uncheck "Receive SMS on this phone"

OP
S

sov1et

Reaction score
Sweet thanks, exactly what I was looking for

Silverwing

Reaction score
7. What about text messaging?

Text messages you send and receive via the Google Voice app are free. However, if you have your Google Voice account set to forward SMS messages to your Verizon mobile number, those SMS messages are treated the same as any other sms messages.

*The official Google Voice app only checks for SMS every 5 minutes, however, if you have actual SMS forwarding enabled from GV to your cell, it's instant. While this is kind of redundant, it removes the GV refresh-rate delay. You can then disable SMS notification in the messaging app, so you end up with a lot of 'hidden' and unread SMS, but if you don't use the Messaging app, that doesn't matter.

If you would like to conserve SMS usage, it is possible to have your SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail account. This can be done from the Google Voice website under Settings > Voicemail & SMS. This is a good workaround for the GVoice 5 minute refresh problem. GMail is pushed, so any SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail will be received instantly. Remember to disable SMS forwarding to your mobile if using this method.

Does this mean that if somebody texts me on my Google voice number, if forward is disabled. I may not get it for 5 minutes? If so, is there a way to bypass that without forwarding (since that would cost money, as I don't have an unlimited text plan and that appears to be redundant, anyway). Any third party program that will push for texts, instead of checking every 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I have unlimited texts and have disabled notifications for the text. Instead, I get the GV notifications. However, I would much prefer a GV that would push.

So hopefully someone (maybe Google) has an answer to this problem.

Silverwing

Reaction score
Well, google can push (like with emails and voicemails?) so is there a way to get an app that will push those message from the online directory of the SMS? Because, as it stands, it is unusable - 5 minutes is preposterously long amount of wait in a conversation.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
There are a few steps you can take that GV will notify you via email instead of SMS.

Go into your GV account, and click on settings.

Under the Phones tab, click edit on your mobile phone, and un-check Receive SMS.

Under the Voicemail & SMS tab check the SMS Forwarding box, make sure it is your gmail account that they will be forwarded to.

You'll now get an email every time someone sends an SMS to your GV number. Gmail push is almost instant notification, better than waiting 5 minutes.

Mateles

Reaction score
I think someone said that the GV SMS will push if you also have an email notification set up. So set up the email notification and also set a filter / rule in your email to delete those. Then you get the SMS push without the extra email notification.

Edit: I also do not have a text plan, so I give out my GV # to people who text me. Now I just need to remember who has my regular # and who has my GV # when I call them so they don't get confused. Unless we get something like this... http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=70dd506d693638f5&hl=en

Last edited:

Silverwing

Reaction score
There are a few steps you can take that GV will notify you via email instead of SMS.

Go into your GV account, and click on settings.

Under the Phones tab, click edit on your mobile phone, and un-check Receive SMS.

Under the Voicemail & SMS tab check the SMS Forwarding box, make sure it is your gmail account that they will be forwarded to.

You'll now get an email every time someone sends an SMS to your GV number. Gmail push is almost instant notification, better than waiting 5 minutes.

Yeah I read about that, but I didn't want my email being spammed because I have full fledged conversations via texts sometimes.

I think someone said that the GV SMS will push if you also have an email notification set up. So set up the email notification and also set a filter / rule in your email to delete those. Then you get the SMS push without the extra email notification.

Edit: I also do not have a text plan, so I give out my GV # to people who text me. Now I just need to remember who has my regular # and who has my GV # when I call them so they don't get confused. Unless we get something like this... Can you assign specific contacts to only use the google voice no matter what? - Google Mobile Help

I think that is the way to go, do you know how to set up that filter rule to delete all those notification emails?

Modulus

Reaction score
The Official Google Voice app is configurable (Menu -> Settings -> Refresh and notification -> Refresh Inbox) but only as low as 5 minutes. This paradigm is called 'polling' and common with most email clients (POP3/IMAP), but in this situation, was just a bad design choice by Google. :( Considering GTalk is built on XMPP/Jabber, they should have implemented all of GV's messaging that way, it would have kept a connection open, and pushed as needed.

The unofficial GV app by Evan Charlton (available in the market), is configurable down to 1 minute, but not nearly as clean/polished looking as the Official GV app. Evan's app does offer a very nice feature though, it will intercept all outgoing calls, and automatically initiate them as call-backs (via the website). Thus, when you try to make an outgoing call, you instead receive a call from your GV number, which if it's on your friends and family list, is free.

Can someone verify that pushing SMS to GMail triggers the GV App notification? I had this configured at one point but don't remember the app being triggered..

Mateles

Reaction score

Edit: I also do not have a text plan, so I give out my GV # to people who text me. Now I just need to remember who has my regular # and who has my GV # when I call them so they don't get confused. Unless we get something like this... Can you assign specific contacts to only use the google voice no matter what? - Google Mobile Help

I think that is the way to go, do you know how to set up that filter rule to delete all those notification emails?
My filter looks like this once it's set up. I don't get many texts though and haven't confirmed it yet.

Code:
Matches: from:(@txt.voice.google.com)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it

Last edited:

JoeFresco

Reaction score
You can get outgoing calls free through the regular GV callout rather than having to have a callback. Just note the phone number that GV uses for outgoing calls and add that to your Friends and Family. It means you have to have 2 numbers in FnF (your GV number and this outgoing call #), but it also means that dialing is completely normal for outgoing calls. For me, that's worth it.

Modulus

Reaction score
JoeFresco, Your way works, but the number that your phone calls is subject to change without notice, and from what I've read, local to your current location, so, lets say you drove XX miles down the road, it might call a different number. I don't know what the distance is, I'd imagine its based on call volume, so 10 miles from NYC might be the same as 100 miles from Cleveland..
I'd rather take the guess work out of it, and only use 1 of my 10 friends and family numbers instead of 2 ;)