Google Voice and SMS

leeches

Reaction score
Question: I've been doing my texting through the google app but I have handcent installed and have enabled popups. This way when I get a new google voice text I still get the handcent popup notification, I just don't respond through it. Sms forwarding is turned off in Voice. That popup notification is not counting as a text, correct? I wouldn't think that it would count but i feel like I better make sure. Thanks Jon

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Question: I've been doing my texting through the google app but I have handcent installed and have enabled popups. This way when I get a new google voice text I still get the handcent popup notification, I just don't respond through it. Sms forwarding is turned off in Voice. That popup notification is not counting as a text, correct? I wouldn't think that it would count but i feel like I better make sure. Thanks Jon

More then likely if handcent is poping up it is counting towards your Verizon sms. The only way that I know to check and make sure that it is only going through GV is by going through the settings. On GV website go settings, phones, select your mobile phone and edit. From there make sure and uncheck recieve sms on this phone. This will make it come through the GV app only and won't cost anything. Before I unchecked this I was still getting charged through Verizon, but not anymore.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question: I've been doing my texting through the google app but I have handcent installed and have enabled popups. This way when I get a new google voice text I still get the handcent popup notification, I just don't respond through it. Sms forwarding is turned off in Voice. That popup notification is not counting as a text, correct?
No, it does count. Handcent send and receives SMS via Verizon unless you're paying to use Handcent instead for SMS delivery.

Exactly how do I get google voice to play my traditional Verizon Wireless voicemail for the google voice voicemail? I dont want to re-record it. Is this possible?
Nope. How would it have access to your voicemail greeting?

Last edited: