Google texts notifier (via Google Voice)

ctn830

Reaction score
Anyone know how to only receive Google Voice notifications (little phone) on my Droid and not the standard text notifiction (smiley face) as well?
When someone sends me a text via Google Voice I get 2 notifications where I only want one. It shows up on my Droid at the Google Voice as a text and on my IM app as well. I think I may be getting charged for this. How do I change this so I only get notified by the Google Voice for it's texts only???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

:motdroidhoriz:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Anyone know how to only receive Google Voice notifications (little phone) on my Droid and not the standard text notifiction (smiley face) as well?
When someone sends me a text via Google Voice I get 2 notifications where I only want one. It shows up on my Droid at the Google Voice as a text and on my IM app as well. I think I may be getting charged for this. How do I change this so I only get notified by the Google Voice for it's texts only???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

:motdroidhoriz:
Try this:

Log in to Google Voice on your computer, and go to Settings > Voice Settings and then select "Edit" for your cell phone. Look for the "Text Settings" (Receive text messages on this phone) option, and turn it off if it's selected. Worked for me!

-Matt

OP
C

ctn830

Reaction score
Thanks a lot!!!!!! Hey do you know what that Google Chat is there for? Is it similar to Google Talk?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's Google Talk. But I also noticed that I have it selected as my GV phone, and so when incoming calls come to my GV number (even from landlines), with that option selected the calls go to whatever computer I'm using.

-Matt

gonzo7

Reaction score
The problem I experienced with this is if the text notification is turned off in Google Voice, you no longer get instant notification. If someone sends you a text message to your Google Voice number, delivery can be quite delayed.

I had to select text notification and suffer through 2 notifications each time just to make sure I am getting my texts right away. It's still annoying tho.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The delivery time seems to vary a bit for me. Sometimes it's instant. Sometimes it's delayed.

SMS forwarding is certainly one workaround. Gmail's another. You could disable the GV notifications while using forwarding if the duplicate notifications bother you.