Google Spotlight Player now available for the Droid Turbo (maybe others)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
While I was helping my daughter clean up her phone (she downloaded a rogue app) I noticed that the Motorola Spotlight Player app was renamed to Google Spotlight Player and is now available for phones other than the Moto X line. I downloaded it to my Turbo and it does play the Spotlight movies. If you are not familiar with the Spotlight movies, when it first came out on the OG Moto X (2013) it featured short little "movies" that you could watch & interact with to help you learn how the sensors and X8 computing system worked inside the phone. I believe they partnered with Disney Pixar at the beginning. You have to move, twist and turn your phone to follow the "characters" on the screen. There have been a few short movies added since the beginning and now the app is available for the Droid Turbo also. I guess this was another one of those patents that Google wanted from Moto and the app is expanding. If you want to check it out, here is the Play Store link:

Google Spotlight Stories - Android Apps on Google Play

1coopgt

Reaction score
Holy Crap. That's cool as hell . I just watched the Help Movie . Very cool.:)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Holy Crap. That's cool as hell . I just watched the Help Movie . Very cool.:)
I just downloaded Help, have not watched it yet. I watched the first 3 on my wife's Moto X. This new one seems like the programming has really developed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm disappointed it's not compatible with the N5.

But it's compatible with the N3!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm disappointed it's not compatible with the N5.

Bummer. I was surprised to see it renamed and available for other phones. Maybe Google will continue to expand the compatible list.

Mehr4x4

Reaction score
It's pretty cool but I can't download "help" it just gets to 1% and then tells me there was an error and try later. I've watched the other ones

Sent from my Droid phone

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Help is almost 1GB, it took a long time to download. If I read it correctly that is the first one to use real actors and its not all animated.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Just checked out "Help." You could watch that many times just to make sure you didn't miss anything. Downloaded over WiFi. Took about 15m to download.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just checked out "Help." You could watch that many times just to make sure you didn't miss anything. Downloaded over WiFi. Took about 15m to download.

I started it last night, looks kind of cool. I have to travel again next weekend so the four of these little "movies" will be my airport entertainment.

1coopgt

Reaction score
I started it last night, looks kind of cool. I have to travel again next weekend so the four of these little "movies" will be my airport entertainment.

Rofl you are going to look like and idiot standing in the middle of the airport spinning around looking at your phone. People will be looking at you wondering what's wrong with you . LOL Help is awesome . J/K But yea you are going to look like your dancing with your self enjoy. :)

Mehr4x4

Reaction score
I still can't down load it! I can't figure out what's wrong. The other three downloaded just fine. It gets to 1% and then fails. I have almost 3 gig free on my phone and I'm at home on my Wi-Fi. What gives?

Sent from my Droid phone

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I still can't down load it! I can't figure out what's wrong. The other three downloaded just fine. It gets to 1% and then fails. I have almost 3 gig free on my phone and I'm at home on my Wi-Fi. What gives?

Sent from my Droid phone
I'm not sure. It should download under those circumstances.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
According to the store, it looks like it's compatible with my Note 4. Downloading the app now, but may not have a chance to play today.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I tried this a few weeks ago and also could not download Help.

Is it worth it the trouble to try again?