Google Services eating my battery

THEPRFCT1

Reaction score
All of a sudden, Google Services is totally draining my battery. Look. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas? Thanks.

sa3ury8a.jpg
★Sent from my Galaxy S4★

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
WOW, that's a lot! I've never seen Google Services eat power like that, but have seen Media and others do that. I'd first try a reboot. If that doesn't work, clear the cache for the Google Services and reboot again. If that doesn't work, try killing the service once it's running and see if that fixes it. Let us know of your success!

Good luck! :biggrin:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It appears it could be a few things that are all Google services but Google + seems to be a big drain along with frequent checking of G-Mail, Google Drive and other services that sync. It has been a common problem for some. I have managed to tinker, (along with using Battery Guru) and got Google Services down to 8th place on that list.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't pay much attention to the time on battery. The phone was used but it was an extreme test.

View attachment 64802

This is a little more typical but as you can see, Google services isn't even on the list

View attachment 64805

My point is that adjustments can be made to reduce that activity. It was once #2 then #3 then #4 on that list.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Google Services is at 5% on mine right now.

Did you happen to install the latest OTA?

y0yoyo

Reaction score
View attachment 64806

So here is mine...same thing, installed new OTA and this is where its at...I do not have ANY google services synced at all...gmail, google maps, calender, etc. Today I turned off google using my location for the web browser but haven't noticed anything yet. Im going to reboot and see what happens....but holy cow ive never seen anything use that much power

Last edited by a moderator:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For those with Google Services issues, try this.

go to Maps --> settings --> google location settings --> turn off "location reporting" and "location history".

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification. When the screen shots were made from post #5 all my location services were on. I have never turned them off from the first day. What I do have turned off (normally), is Multi Window - S Beam - NFC - Smart Scroll and Smart Pause.

On is WiFi - GPS - Sound - Mobile Data - Air View -Smart Stay - and Sync, but I control the sync very closely.

I do use bluetooth but it turns on only when I turn on my headset.

OP
THEPRFCT1

THEPRFCT1

Reaction score
By the way, this issue only started after the latest OTA update. Before then my phone battery life was great for my typical use. It's only a couple months old, non rooted for now. Something with the latest update messed this battery drain issue up!

BTW, someone a few posts ago screen shot had battery life over three days?! How?!

★Sent from my Galaxy S4★

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
By the way, this issue only started after the latest OTA update. Before then my phone battery life was great for my typical use. It's only a couple months old, non rooted for now. Something with the latest update messed this battery drain issue up!

BTW, someone a few posts ago screen shot had battery life over three days?! How?!

★Sent from my Galaxy S4★

That was me. I generally go 48+ hours without a problem. The 3 day was an extreme test and included a weekend when I only did some browsing - news reading and research but all the normal settings were on as stated. The way I use my apps is more important than all those settings. That includes sync frequency and active widget activity.

What's strange is that I frequently get a battery spike from an app specific to AT&T called AT&T Smart WiFi. Without that app I would get even better life as it typically uses >6% but sometimes goes to #3 (20%-30%) on the list. I prefer to keep it running.

OP
THEPRFCT1

THEPRFCT1

Reaction score
Well I disabled Google Now, Location Services and History. Getting a full charge tonight and I'll report back tomorrow.

★Sent from my Galaxy S4★

harrellj

Reaction score
Interestingly, I just checked mine. I do have the latest OTA update and all location services enabled and its at 6%. It was 5% earlier too.View attachment 64819

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
I'm not a gs4 owner but thought I'd offer my $0.02. Try installing gsam battery monitor. It offers a lot better breakdown of battery usage and might be able to help pinpoint issues.

Gsam play store link: http://goo.gl/b4Uni