Google rumored to buy HTC

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
htc-one-google-edition-box-jpg.77843

HTC could have been the dominant device maker Samsung is today, but the Taiwanese company suffered financial defeat after defeat no matter how great its Android offerings were. Google, which is already tapping HTC to make its Pixel and Pixel 2 phones, is apparently interested in HTC’s ailing mobile division, and reports say that the parties are in the final stage of negotiations for a Google takeover. Google is only after the mobile arm of HTC, Chinese-language Commercial Times explains.

Continue Reading @ BGR

Attachments

• htc-one-google-edition-box.jpg
    htc-one-google-edition-box.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,246

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
would not be surprised. heard htc was up for sale a few weeks ago. it could be a good match for manufacturing the pixel.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You would think it would only make sense for Google, however that didn't work so well with Motorola a few years ago.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I agree with Rognish. I think at the time, Google only wanted Moto for their technology and patents. They weren't interested in physical manufacturing then, so they sold them off. Now that they have their own Pixel line and even hired a head of engineering (or whatever they called it) they might be interested in making their own products now. Maybe.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
danDroid, I think google got exactly what they wanted when they bough Motorola, they got all of their patents and sold off the manufacturing to the highest bidder.

Good point. HTC has made some awesome products in the past. Maybe it will be a good combination!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting....and I agree on the take with Moto.

Still a bit surprising, though. There's not much money in phones unless your Apple or Sammie. Google is perhaps, again, getting a little frustrated with tech advancement in phones (which was part of the reasoning behind the Moto deal). And Sammie stills has dreams of making Tizen into something, so there's always the defensive positioning argument.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
not to mention the vive and VR and googles new AR work... maybe there is more going on here than we are realizing.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I doubt Google hired Rick Osterloh away from Moto just to head up the Pixel team (which they don't make themselves), and Chromecast team. I think they have plans for some sort of manufacturing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Interesting....and I agree on the take with Moto.

Still a bit surprising, though. There's not much money in phones unless your Apple or Sammie. Google is perhaps, again, getting a little frustrated with tech advancement in phones (which was part of the reasoning behind the Moto deal). And Sammie stills has dreams of making Tizen into something, so there's always the defensive positioning argument.

I don't think Tizen will make it with smartphones. I think the big plans are to put it in their appliances. I have it in my smartwatch and really don't care for it because of the lack of apps.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think Tizen will make it with smartphones. I think the big plans are to put it in their appliances. I have it in my smartwatch and really don't care for it because of the lack of apps.

I don't disagree, but that wasn't really how Tizen started or the motivation. Interesting point about appliances - that's a free for all right now and the more pieces of the home eco-system you control the more potential to leverage that into smartphones. Of course, MS and Sony thought the same thing with game consoles and entertainment hubs, but they've not come close to leveraging that into the trojan horse into your home.

Agreed on the lack of apps with Tizen. I had very specific uses/needs for my smartwatch and Tizen apps weren't going to cut it.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't trust Google to do the right thing with HTC. Google now wants to what Apple has done, but they had their chance with Motorola. The biggest reason I bought the Moto X was because it was build here in the USA. Google sold them off to keep their patents. I see the same thing happening with HTC.

If Google buys HTC, they will be a thing of the past in 2 years time.

ayanav

Banned
Reaction score
Google would not be on its first try with such an acquisition, we obviously remember the takeover of Motorola Mobility and its many patents. After exhausting it, the giant had resold the empty shell to Lenovo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iphone 8 samsung galaxy note 9

Last edited: