HTC and Google Sign 3-Year Exclusive Nexus Smartphone Deal [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-nexus-9-hero-shot.jpg

According to the latest intel, HTC may soon be an exclusive Nexus smartphone maker for the next three years. Supposedly, Google inked a deal with HTC for the Taiwanese company to make a 5-inch and 5.5-inch Nexus device this year. On top of that, the deal supposedly also includes exclusive Nexus control for HTC for three years.

Considering that LG has already confirmed they will not be making a Nexus device this year, it's possible this rumor will turn out to be true. Also, the HTC Nexus 9 tablet was well received by reviewers. It didn't sell particularly well, but that wasn't because it was an HTC product. It was simply the stale tablet market.

Perhaps Google is trying to help HTC revive their ailing Android business. What do you folks think of this potential news?

Here's our HTC Nexus 2016 forum for further discussion: HTC Nexus 2016

Source: 惊人爆料:HTC未来三年独霸Google亲儿子

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
All Nexus devices to date have been designed in close collaboration with Google, but the OEMs really do much of the hardware design. Recent rumors have suggested that Google might move to controlling the entire process. If true, it might be helpful for Google to partner with an experienced OEM for production, at least in the beginning.

That's the only way I can see this rumor being true: if Google is in complete control of designing the device, and HTC is basically just manufacturing it for them. It may not even be branded as a HTC device. HTC is in enough of a financial pinch to make a deal like that.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Interesting.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Agh crap. Guess this is my last Nexus if true. HTC has been garbage for me. Thunderbolt, dinc, etc. I'll never go near HTC again.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Agh crap. Guess this is my last Nexus if true. HTC has been garbage for me. Thunderbolt, dinc, etc. I'll never go near HTC again.

What was the last HTC device you used? The M8 and M9 are beautiful phones. I had the M8 and my inlaws all have M9s.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Was the Incredible before or after thunderdolt? Those were the last. My friend had an M8 and it's battery life was less than 5 hours a day. No thanks.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
HTC phones should come with a backpack where you carry a car battery to keep phone powered up since their 2k mah won't get you from bed to bathroom.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Pretty sure I predicted this in another thread when I suggested HTC or ASUS. WHAM.
I liked HTC. I had a Dinc2 which was a quality phone at the time. But then they back pedaled on the update and I really wanted JB. One of my apps wouldn't work on GB.
I'm not the type that demands updates but when you formally announce an update AND THEN CHANGE YOUR MIND and cancel that, I lose respect for you.

hkwise01

Reaction score
So much hate for phones made over 3 years ago. I'm still using my HTC m8 which recently updated to 6.0 and the battery life has been perfectly fine. I'm excited about Google working with HTC due to their proven build quality.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Truly enjoyed my M8 experience and happy to see them partner up if true ...

6s Plus

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
HTC has experience with the Nexus line. Unfortunately they are 50% being a hit with the Nexus One (considering the public was not ready for buying phones off contract at the time) and a miss with the tablet. The incredible, Evo, butterfly, rezound, and the desire were all hits. The M7 and M8 were picking up traction, and people gave up on the M9 because HTC gave up on the M9. This could actually be more of a help for HTC, who have been struggling lately, than Google.

nexus-one-vs-htc-desire_home.jpg

tommyz

Reaction score
I hope this isn't true... I hate HTC phones. After that POS Thunderbolt, I said I would never buy another HTC phone again. It so far is the only Android phone I hated.

wardo

Reaction score
Well there goes my plans for getting a nexus phone next year. HTC can blow me

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I agree with pc747 this will be a good thing for HTC ...I've seen some hate for HTC but there is a big difference between their old phones and new phones ... You will see a solid device paired with Google ...plus HTC has been good to the development community ...

6s Plus

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hope this isn't true... I hate HTC phones. After that POS Thunderbolt, I said I would never buy another HTC phone again. It so far is the only Android phone I hated.
For as bad as the thunderbolt was, htc's response in the rezound made up for it. Unfortunately the rezound came up against the first vzw nexus in the galaxy nexus. That and the rezound did not get much love except for the late holiday grandma commercial.
Like you I hated HTC for the thunderbolt but we jumped on board the train to be first on LTE despite all the warnings from people (ie black panda) talking about the issues with the thunderbolt.

HTC has the expertise and they know how to make a good piece of hardware. I personally am looking forward to another HTC nexus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk