Google Responds To Display Dismay Will Provide Updates To Fix Consumer Concerns

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-pixel-xl-2-jpg.78009

This past week has seemed to be pretty deathly for the Pixel 2 XL. Just about every tech media outlet has reported various deal breaking problems with the device's display. This lead to Google launching a full fledged investigation to see if there was anything that actually needed fixing. Google says that after their investigation they are very confident the Pixel 2 gives consumers an exceptional smartphone experience.

In an effort to ease everyone's mind they will be extending the manufacturers warranty to 2 years on both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. Google says they intentionally designed the Pixel 2 XL to have a more natural and accurate rendition of colors to take full advantage of the POLED display. After feedback from the majority on colors Google will be releasing an update to allow users to make colors more vibrant. The update should arrive after a few weeks.

In response to the burn in issue Google says they began testing for burn in the day they received the first complaint on October 22nd. Their findings suggest that Pixel 2 XL differential aging is comparable to other premium smart phones on the market. They will be enhancing the navigation bar to include dimming so that it isn't static, and will ask developers to be sure the nav bar is white when possible to reduce chances of burn in. Google says that regardless they use software to safeguard the user experience and maximize the life of the OLED display.

So it looks like officially we will be getting an update for colors and they will be making changes to hopefully avoid permanent burn in on displays. This will be paired with an extended 2 year warranty. Is this enough to ease your mind, or is the Pixel 2 XL still a no go?

Google

Attachments

• google-pixel-xl-2.jpg
    google-pixel-xl-2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 3,253

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
im not getting any Burnin on my Note8 and the Screen is Vibrant and Beautiful. Sounds like some Legal Mumbo Jumbo Answer.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
im not getting any Burnin on my Note8 and the Screen is Vibrant and Beautiful. Sounds like some Legal Mumbo Jumbo Answer.

I think what they are saying is that any screen burn in is a fluke. Sure time will tell but it was meant that their displays are on par with other displays, not other displays are bad.

As for the vibrant colors, I'm loving the true color of the Pixel 2XL. I'm used to it from my monitor thats calibrated for photography. Once you get use to it, vibrant looks so fake.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
time to cancel the pixel protect

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Pixel protect is $129 + you will pay a$99 deductible.

So I'm going to pay Google $228 just in case i break my phone screen. And Google is going to send it off to a similar company who will also not guarantee waterproofing afterwards. I would rather just get a case and screen protector.
a7b18eac152d5b8eefddcc4ccc2c0309.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

djsiva

Reaction score
Pixel protect is $129 + you will pay a$99 deductible.

So I'm going to pay Google $228 just in case i break my phone screen. And Google is going to send it off to a similar company who will also not guarantee waterproofing afterwards. I would rather just get a case and screen protector.
a7b18eac152d5b8eefddcc4ccc2c0309.jpg

Break it twice and it's cheaper. $327 < $439.80. Also, I'm going to assume it's still waterproof unless Google explicitly states that is isn't as part of the repair. So, then I will be able to get it replaced under warranty if it gets damaged due to water post-screen repair. All of this is still hypothetical as I hope I don't end up cracking a screen. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Break it twice and it's cheaper. $327 < $439.80. Also, I'm going to assume it's still waterproof unless Google explicitly states that is isn't as part of the repair. So, then I will be able to get it replaced under warranty if it gets damaged due to water post-screen repair. All of this is still hypothetical as I hope I don't end up cracking a screen. :)
True

This was my concern. I read they use ubreakifix

e60a515290bcedb1929d4fe3f2c2e604.jpg

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Lol and having an extended warranty helps bad OLED, how? V30 had a 2 year warranty from the beginning, same LG OLED panel, no fix.

Last edited: