Google Recieves More Revenue From iOS Than Android

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
androidrobot.png

Back in October of 2011, Larry Page declared that Google's mobile products would generate $2.5 billion in 2011. The tech world marveled at his statement, which then subsequently made headlines across tech blogs everywhere. The Guardian has uncovered what may be a more detailed explanation of where all that revenue is coming from, and it will surprise many. According to The Guardian, of the $2.5 Billion in revenue, Android accounts for a just a tiny fraction of that number and in actuality Google's iOS products contribute way more to Google's bottom line.

According to court papers filed in the upcoming legal battle with Oracle, Google pulled in just $550 million from Android users between 2008 and 2011. That breaks down to roughly $10.00 year/Android handset. Where's the rest of that money coming from? Much of it is coming from iOS. Remember, Google has a deal with Apple, in place since the introduction of the iPhone in 2007, through which it provides maps and the default search engine for its iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch products. Doing the math shows that Google actually earns four times as much revenue from its deal with Apple than from Android. Surprised?

Source: The Guardian

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The article mentions that google is the default search engine on all iOS devices but that comes at a cost 1 billion per year to be default search engine on all iOS devices so those numbers may be off to some degree.

and no im not surprised because as a whole apple device owners will spend more in apps and services then android users.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not really. Very interesting tho. Google wants Apple to stick around for awhile...Microsoft wants Android to stick around. Hopefully one day Apple will want Android to stick around.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
does not surprise me .. i did think that the numbers would be less lopsided though

JoeeDB

Reaction score
That actually does make sense when it comes to all the legal stuff happening. Apple doesn't benefit at all from Android being around (all the stupid lawsuits that have been going on). Google doesn't fight back because in the end Apple makes them a ton of money. I used to wonder why Google doesn't tear Apple down (remove them from search, disable maps, youtube, etc. from Apple devices) but now it makes sense.

alboboy10

Reaction score
That actually does make sense when it comes to all the legal stuff happening. Apple doesn't benefit at all from Android being around (all the stupid lawsuits that have been going on). Google doesn't fight back because in the end Apple makes them a ton of money. I used to wonder why Google doesn't tear Apple down (remove them from search, disable maps, youtube, etc. from Apple devices) but now it makes sense.

Google hasn't gotten involved in anything in court. Not because apple makes them so much money because I'm sure that Google would prefer for android to be a monopoly then have everything be 50/50 split.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Well said. Google seem to be very friendly with apple because of financial business more then rivals.