Google Play store doesn't work and crashes at launch

Manuel.95

Reaction score
Hi all,
Since yesterday i noticed that when i open Google Play Store it shuts down itself instantly, with no report button (so i can't see the logs). I also noticed that also Whatsapp has a similar behaviour and since they're the only two apps that crashes on startup i guess the problem is the same.

I tried everything i read about google play store crashes: Cleared data, cache, downgraded it, tried to do the same (clear data, cache and remove updates) on google play services, but nothing happened. I obviously tried to restart and wipe cache partition but even in this case, no results. I read that it could be the disactivation of the Download Manager app/service but 1) no apps are disabled on my phone, 2) i didn't really find that download manager. I'm pretty sure that if i can resolve the crash on google play, i fix whatsapp automatically. I really don't want to wipe data and factory reset my phone. I hope there's one solution.
Thanks all.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

One thing you might try is going to all apps in the app manager and find the Google Framework app. Clear the cache, force stop and turn the phone off, then back on again.

OP
M

Manuel.95

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

One thing you might try is going to all apps in the app manager and find the Google Framework app. Clear the cache, force stop and turn the phone off, then back on again.

I just did that but google play and whatsapp still crash on launch.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
What apps have you recently installed? I get the idea that something else is causing the problem. A different issue with the Store app, (errors/codes), has been resolved in the past by removing the Google account, restarting, then adding the account back. Nothing lost or changed to your config doing that so long as you use the same account info.

OP
M

Manuel.95

Reaction score
What apps have you recently installed? I get the idea that something else is causing the problem. A different issue with the Store app, (errors/codes), has been resolved in the past by removing the Google account, restarting, then adding the account back. Nothing lost or changed to your config doing that so long as you use the same account info.

I forgot to mention that but i removed all my accounts and re-added them back after restarting, but it still gave me that problem.
The last app i installed was Hearthstone (a game developed by Blizzard) but it's been almost a week since it's installed, i don't think that that's the problem. Browsing my apps i just noticed that the Youtube app unistalled itself (because i didn't do it).

One question: 3 days ago google play services was crashing repeatedly and giving me notification about the location service, so i factory downgraded it and updated it from the google play fixing it. But in the mean time (when it was crashing) i sent some crash reports. Since my phone is rooted (and that should be written in the report), could it be some block of any kind?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Youtube comes stock on virtually all Android phones. Now that you have mentioned "rooted" have you changed any permissions on ANYTHING?

OP
M

Manuel.95

Reaction score
Youtube comes stock on virtually all Android phones. Now that you have mentioned "rooted" have you changed any permissions on ANYTHING?
Lately no, i did not. I did change and gave permissions to some apps, times ago. The problem happened yesterday, and i didn't use the root features on the past days. Could it be an app that i "permitted" that is "waking up" now? I never gave permanent permissions though.

OP
M

Manuel.95

Reaction score
What app or apps did you change permissions on and why?
Let's say basic stuff. Root checker to check if i rooted successfully, the default File manager, Terminal Emulator, BusyBox, Freedom and Resolution changer (an app used to change DPI and resolution, which isn't on my phone in this moment). Nothing more. Every single app is set with temporary permission which i have to confirm every time i open them.
But i don't think it's because of the root, since yesterday morning all worked just fine, in the evening (touching my phone during the day only to see the time) i found out that whatsapp crashed when i opened it, thinking about an old version, i opened Google play and saw that even this app had the same problem.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Is it just Google Play and Whats App so far or have any other apps experienced this?

Also, rooting permission might have something to do with it. However, the reason I'm asking above is because I'm currently getting a lot of messages about a particular issue with Android System WebView. Apparently, apps that utilize this particular framework are not even launching and it's a host of apps from My Verizon to Facebook (Apps closing by themselves Page 2 Android Forum at DroidForums.net Try seeing if you have Android System WebView in Settings > Apps > All and try uninstalling updates and let me know if that fixes your issue.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it just Google Play and Whats App so far or have any other apps experienced this?

Also, rooting permission might have something to do with it. However, the reason I'm asking above is because I'm currently getting a lot of messages about a particular issue with Android System WebView. Apparently, apps that utilize this particular framework are not even launching and it's a host of apps from My Verizon to Facebook (Apps closing by themselves Page 2 Android Forum at DroidForums.net Try seeing if you have Android System WebView in Settings > Apps > All and try uninstalling updates and let me know if that fixes your issue.
You beat me to it. It worked on my totally unrelated to each other apps issue.

OP
M

Manuel.95

Reaction score

No i don't have that app installed.
Also, only Google Play and Whatsapp are the only apps that have this problem. As i was saying youtube unistalled itself, and i didn't find the default package in /system/app/

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
No i don't have that app installed.
Also, only Google Play and Whatsapp are the only apps that have this problem. As i was saying youtube unistalled itself, and i didn't find the default package in /system/app/

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Digging into those folders is, unfortunately, something I'm not hugely familiar with. Check around on XDA if you haven't already.

If I were to take a guess...have you fixed permissions yet through recovery?

OP
M

Manuel.95

Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Digging into those folders is, unfortunately, something I'm not hugely familiar with. Check around on XDA if you haven't already.

If I were to take a guess...have you fixed permissions yet through recovery?
I tried to put the phone in recovery mode but there was no fix permission option...Is there another way to do it?