Google Officially Announces Cellular Support on Android Wear

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-Watch_Hero.jpg

Finally Google has decided to take Android Wear to the next level. They just announced official support of cellular technology in their newest version of Android Wear. The first smartwatch to take advantage of that will be the upcoming LG Watch Urbane LTE 2nd Edition, which we will share a story about coming up next.

This basically means that the dream of leaving your smartphone at home and just using a watch as your phone will become true for those interested. Of course, it shouldn't really come as a surprise that Google made this move. Even if you aren't excited about a Dick Tracy style smartwatch, the future of technology is moving toward the IoT (Internet of Things), and cellular connectivity will need to be a big part of that for everything to fully connect.

Here's our Android Watch section for further discussion: Android Watches | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Android Official Blog

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Though I don't personally care for my watch to be autonomous from my phone at this point, I'm glad they're moving in this direction. Seems like a smart move.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wonder how they keep doing this when we are supposedly running out of ipv4 ip addresses.