Google maps?

wolstonc

Reaction score
I keep having this issue where my phone will open Google maps on its own. I haven't used Google maps in weeks, but often when I use the recent apps button it will show Google maps in the icon area but the window itself won't open. However I think I know the cause. I often use Google search's places tab to get phone numbers, and I think this causes maps to run in the background for the "map" portion of the window, even if I don't use the map at all. Anyone else have this issue/feature?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
wolstonc

wolstonc

Reaction score
Nevermind, its running right now and I haven't used my browser today

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Interesting. Have you tried clearing the cache/data of the google maps app?

Have you downloaded any apps recently?

steveil

Reaction score
I keep having this issue where my phone will open Google maps on its own. I haven't used Google maps in weeks, but often when I use the recent apps button it will show Google maps in the icon area but the window itself won't open. However I think I know the cause. I often use Google search's places tab to get phone numbers, and I think this causes maps to run in the background for the "map" portion of the window, even if I don't use the map at all. Anyone else have this issue/feature?

I have not used Maps and it is showing that it have used 6% of my battery.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I have not used Maps and it is showing that it have used 6% of my battery.

+1 used 7%, and it's been sitting on my desk all day.
If I force quit it comes back immediately. No new apps for me either. I think maps updated the other day. .
Also, two reboots today...my first since getting the phone a few weeks ago....

Last edited:
OP
wolstonc

wolstonc

Reaction score
What's everyone's GPS settings? I have them all on. I'm going to see if apps that use GPS trigger it. Last time it happened was after I used Facebook, but I just used it and no maps on now.

steveil

Reaction score
What's everyone's GPS settings? I have them all on. I'm going to see if apps that use GPS trigger it. Last time it happened was after I used Facebook, but I just used it and no maps on now.

I have GPS turned off.

jeremyn22000

Reaction score
im having the same problem on my nexus i never turn gps on unless i need it. I'll just be using the phone then go to recent apps and there it is and when you try to open it up nothing comes up. I'm am going to try to uninstall the last google maps update and see how that goes i'll keep everybody posted.

jeremyn22000

Reaction score
ok i uninstalled the last google maps update from 6.5 to 6.0.1 been running it like that all day and night and google maps never poped up inmy recent apps tray so i am to assume it has something to do with the 6.5 update. Hope this helps.

soulshot96

Reaction score
It has happened to me as well. I just clear it from the recent tasks and get on with my day lol. No worries.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reaction score

yep! my google maps CONSTANTLY runs in the background and will not stop, even though my location settings are ALL unchecked.

it immediately opens if i force stop it-can't believe i now have to disable google maps on an android phone....:icon_eek:

Last edited:

Chubbydog

Reaction score
If it worked fine before, can't you just uninstall the update? I never update google maps, because I've never had any luck with it after. I tried it a few times on my X2, and never could get it to work right. I just uninstalled the update, and it seemed to work fine after.

LuvMusic

Reaction score
If it worked fine before, can't you just uninstall the update? I never update google maps, because I've never had any luck with it after. I tried it a few times on my X2, and never could get it to work right. I just uninstalled the update, and it seemed to work fine after.

+1 This is what I did too...no more Maps running in the background.