Maps let me down again last night...

GadgetRick

Reaction score
So we all know Maps is a kick ass app. I love it. However, we all know the issues with Maps--especially the issue with Google not having their poop together on their addressing/mapping database. I run into this a little too frequently. Last night was another one of those times but I really needed it.

Had a Christmas party to go to. Knew the name of the restaurant and the town so just searched and it came up. Went to the website, tapped on the address (which was properly listed, btw). Maps opened up but it kept dropping the street number. I couldn't put in the number manually either. Kept dropping it. Annoying and it was a little difficult finding the place since Maps just took me to the middle of the street which is a long street with lots of stuff.

This is my MAIN gripe about Maps. Google has known their addressing/mapping database has been lacking for YEARS and they still haven't fixed it. I'm hoping the popularity of Maps--especially as they port it to other phones--will make them fix this problem. It happens all too often and it's just plain annoying and has made me late on more than one occasion (and I'm anal about being on time).

Please fix this already Google!!!!!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Did you try to speak it?

Navigate to....

jasonb

Reaction score

REMilk

Reaction score
Every time I speak "Navigate to" I get a web browser with a google search for Navigate to.

I speak "Directions to" and this works well.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
Whatever happened to using your eyes? Be happy your PHONE could direct you to the street that its on... After that, just look for the big well lit sign with its name on it.

zasran

Reaction score
If it's a problem with maps you can report it (on Google Maps) and they'll most likely look into it, I reported problem on my street recently and they responded, they said they'll investigate then they reported it's indeed a problem and will be fixed in next release of maps.

ero

Rudy

Reaction score
Every time I speak "Navigate to" I get a web browser with a google search for Navigate to.

I speak "Directions to" and this works well.

If you do it from car home it will work every time.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Whatever happened to using your eyes? Be happy your PHONE could direct you to the street that its on... After that, just look for the big well lit sign with its name on it.

Hmm, so now we should not expect the software to do what it's designed to do? :::scratching head:::

It's funny, when someone says a negative thing about ANYTHING having to do with a Droid (or Google), everyone makes excuses for them. This is a problem Google should fix. They have had a problem with their database for YEARS. I know this because I've been using Google maps for YEARS and have run into the same kinds of problems for YEARS. So why, exactly, should I cut them slack?

It's a NAVIGATION program which they claim NAVIGATES to various places (including an address). It's not designed to take me to the street so I can, "use my eyes," to find what I'm looking for. It's designed to take me DIRECTLY to the address I am looking for. If it doesn't do this, then it should be fixed.

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hmm, so now we should not expect the software to do what it's designed to do? :::scratching head:::

It's funny, when someone says a negative thing about ANYTHING having to do with a Droid (or Google), everyone makes excuses for them. This is a problem Google should fix. They have had a problem with their database for YEARS. I know this because I've been using Google maps for YEARS and have run into the same kinds of problems for YEARS. So why, exactly, should I cut them slack?

It's a NAVIGATION program which they claim NAVIGATES to various places (including an address). It's not designed to take me to the street so I can, "use my eyes," to find what I'm looking for. It's designed to take me DIRECTLY to the address I am looking for. If it doesn't do this, then it should be fixed.
sounds like you're unhappy with your purchase. you should consider moving on to another product and/or using a different service.

if this isn't an option for you, you should learn how these things work. people aren't making excuses so much as you're not willing to hear the reasoning.

google maps may be incomplete for your area. you should submit a request to have your area updated. they do review those requests.

as far as using the phone for a gps navigation unit, i've had plenty of other SPECIFIC gps units give me a wrong turn, send me down the wrong end of a road, or completely botch the directions altogether. it's still an emerging technology and should improve substantially over the next 10 years.

10 years ago, relying on internet maps was YOUR fault.