Google Maps Traffic Widget Updating

RedSectorA

Reaction score
Has this happened to anyone else? I used the widget once but then deleted it from the screen. Now the updater for the traffic widget always seems to start itself. I force stop it and it always comes back after some time. I also try to force stop and clear the cache of Google Maps and that will stop it for a while but again it always comes back after some random amount of time. It is eating up my battery. Before all this started I could charge my phone to full, go to sleep and wake up at 99%. Now when I do the same thing it is usually down at least 10%. I have very few apps right now since I just got the phone last month and I have all sync's manual. I have also done the Blockbuster "fix". I am confident that it's this traffic widget update that seems to be updating nothing that is the culprit. Anyone know if there is some way to permanently stop this thing from "updating"?

sslbaron

Reaction score
I'd have to say no! lol
Seriously though, I tried this widget and then removed it without any issues. Have you tried a restart or a battery pull? If these don't work, you may want to try a factory reset. Good luck! :)

trapperjohn61

Reaction score
Has this happened to anyone else? I used the widget once but then deleted it from the screen. Now the updater for the traffic widget always seems to start itself. I force stop it and it always comes back after some time. I also try to force stop and clear the cache of Google Maps and that will stop it for a while but again it always comes back after some random amount of time. It is eating up my battery. Before all this started I could charge my phone to full, go to sleep and wake up at 99%. Now when I do the same thing it is usually down at least 10%. I have very few apps right now since I just got the phone last month and I have all sync's manual. I have also done the Blockbuster "fix". I am confident that it's this traffic widget update that seems to be updating nothing that is the culprit. Anyone know if there is some way to permanently stop this thing from "updating"?

Hi,
I had the same problem could not get rid of it in running services, would come right back.
Well here's how I fixed it : go to settings,applications, manage applications, then look for maps, select it then clear DATA and CACHE.
Then if it is running again stop it, it will not come back.
Now when you go into maps it will greet you with a info screen just hit OK.
That's it if you now check you will find traffic service is not running even if you enable to see traffic on map service was for widget.

I did not have to reboot at all :)

Update : after doing more testing the service came back so this time I went to market, my apps, and uninstalled updates for google maps, then edited market went back in and updated Google Maps.
After 1 hour I still have not seen the traffic widget service come back :)

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited:
OP
R

RedSectorA

Reaction score

Hi,
I had the same problem could not get rid of it in running services, would come right back.
Well here's how I fixed it : go to settings,applications, manage applications, then look for maps, select it then clear DATA and CACHE.
Then if it is running again stop it, it will not come back.
Now when you go into maps it will greet you with a info screen just hit OK.
That's it if you now check you will find traffic service is not running even if you enable to see traffic on map service was for widget.

I did not have to reboot at all :)

Update : after doing more testing the service came back so this time I went to market, my apps, and uninstalled updates for google maps, then edited market went back in and updated Google Maps.
After 1 hour I still have not seen the traffic widget service come back :)

Thanks,
Bryan

Thanks for the suggestions. I uninstalled and reinstalled google maps update and it seems to have fixed the problem. This was driving me nuts draining my battery like crazy so I'm glad to have this fixed. Never going to touch that damn traffic widget again. It's kind of cool but not worth the hassle if it does this every time.