Google Maps: My Current Location Is Inaccurate

daelight

Reaction score
My current location on Google maps is off by about quarter miles. It always seems to think I am a quarter mile east to southeast of where I am.

Is this common?

Can I get it it to calibrate somehow?

Am I the only one with this problem?

qoncept

Reaction score
Are you sure GPS is enabled? If not, it'll triangulate your position between cell phone towers and it's not very accurate. On my Blackberry it can sometimes be off by up to 3 miles.

HawkDroid

Reaction score
Inside a building is definitely a problem. Outside I am right on the spot.

DroidFan

Reaction score
Mine was initially inaccurate by several miles, but once I started playing with it and typing in local addresses to search, it "recalibrated" itself and my location became spot on.

onejake

Reaction score
Are you sure GPS is enabled? If not, it'll triangulate your position between cell phone towers and it's not very accurate. On my Blackberry it can sometimes be off by up to 3 miles.

This.

That sounds like the problem. If it's consistently placing you in a location away from your actual position, the GPS, in all likelihood, might not be enabled. (it's easier to figure out if you stay in a static location like your house)

When I first turn on the map function, it places my location at the same place (SW about 1/2 mile away) Once the GPS gets a fix, it's off by no more than 10 yards. Most of the time, it's much more accurate than that.

keiichi25

Reaction score
A couple things to note as well.

GPS is more of a 'line of sight' thing. Triangulation is done by number of satellites relaying its information to the GPS unit, most times, you will not get a GPS signal while 'inside' because there is no Line of Sight. You will see that with a TomTom (I have one) and it takes a few moments for it to triangulate off that.

If you ever watched NCIS, their resident Geek, Tim McGee, for instance, references times when they triangulate a phone bouncing off cell towers, same with CSI. So the better question would be where you might be in relation to towers. If you are only getting weak cell service, you might be on the edge of the provisioned Cell towers, more likely from only 1. Triangulation requires a minimum of 2 towers, 3+ would make it more accurate.

andjarnic

Reaction score
I actually was shocked to see how accurate the GPS was. I thought it could get down to a few meters, but never noticed that on my iPhone. I am in a new area, new homes, etc, and the dot, when I zoomed in all the way literally had me in the right bedroom... although on the map there were no homes when they took the picture of it. As I moved around my house, the dot moves. Very impressive!!

onejake

Reaction score
To ensure the GPS is on, just do the following:

Go to Settings -> Location & security -> Use GPS satellites (make sure the box has a green check mark)

When you re-open Google maps, the GPS icon will appear in the task tray at the top of the screen (next to the 3G icon) It should take less than a minute to update your location.

stainless

Reaction score
My GPS is on and works fine except on some roads it is off by 50 to 100 feet.
It is real annoying when the voice tries to turn on to the road I am on from every side street because it thinks I am 100 feet to the left.
How do I calibrate this.

y6y6y6

Reaction score
How do I calibrate this.

It really isn't something you can calibrate. Just make sure the GPS is on, and try to make sure the phone is within line of sight of as much sky overhead as possible.

I've had my GPS become inactive when I'm between two semis. I suspect it might be a problem if you are driving between tall buildings as well. Putting it towards the front of the windshield so it can look straight up might help.

BigTex71

Reaction score
How do I calibrate this.

It really isn't something you can calibrate. Just make sure the GPS is on, and try to make sure the phone is within line of sight of as much sky overhead as possible.

I've had my GPS become inactive when I'm between two semis. I suspect it might be a problem if you are driving between tall buildings as well. Putting it towards the front of the windshield so it can look straight up might help.

The GPS satellites are in multiple places of the sky at any given time. The more satellites it can 'see', the more accurate it will be. If you are only receiving data from one satellite, it could be causing the device to appear off by the 1/4 mile that was stated earlier. Then, when more satellites can see the device, it should correct itself. So no calibration needed, just move to a place with a better clear view of the sky.

stainless

Reaction score
I don't think it is a reception issue since it is constant.
I think it is a Google Map issue and their maps while fairly accurate are not accurately aligned where they should be.
THey don't even line up with the satellite imagery

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should you have both "use wireless networks" AND "use GPS satellites" checked under the location settings, or just GPS?

OP
D

daelight

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think it is an issue with google maps and cell phone towers. When using the GPS it is very accurate.