droid my location inaccurate?

yyhh94

Reaction score
When I go on Google maps and find my location its sometimes inaccurate, not by a lot but just a little
.. is there a way to make it more accurate?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whn you say not by much what exactly are you talking? Mile? 200 yards.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I go on Google maps and find my location its sometimes inaccurate, not by a lot but just a little

Do you have the "Use GPS Satellites" box checked?

Mike

OP
Y

yyhh94

Reaction score

Mike

Yea. Its on

And when I say little I mean its off by one or two blocks. Is this normal?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

Yea. Its on

If I recall correctly accuracy is considered about 200 meters. I would think 2 blocks would fall within that range. You will get your most accurate reading outdoors. Mine is usually on the spot.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not if GPS is available (i.e. you're outdoors and there aren't any issues with using GPS).

Accuracy will vary for aGPS, triangulation and other locating methods.

butch350

Reaction score

Mike

Yea. Its on

Do you have wireless checked too - if your indoors your phone will probably pick up the wireless network first,
and it will dominate and show wireless (tower)?, as your location.

(That's what happens with my Droid WHERE I LIVE).

For me to get an accurate reading - I un check wireless and check
the GPS box. However, GPS uses more battery power when left on.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Mike

Yea. Its on

Do you have wireless checked too - if your indoors your phone will probably pick up the wireless network first,
and it will dominate and show wireless (tower)?, as your location.

(That's what happens with my Droid WHERE I LIVE).

For me to get an accurate reading - I un check wireless and check
the GPS box. However, GPS uses more battery power when left on.

This is most likely the reason for the variance. I have had many users where I work with this exact problem. When removing use wireless from the options, it will give them the best accuracy available. GPS only eats battery when it's used, it will use VERY minimal battery if any battery in standy mode.

The worst GPS accuracy i've seen on my phone for using GPS, is 60 meters. I would most likely say that it might go up as high as 100 in a rare rare occasion for some people. But once it's locked on to the GPS, it usually will get me to between 2-10 meters, every time. You have to wait though, once it's locked onto your location, it will get better and better accuracy as time goes on. So once it's locked on, wait about a minute and you should see a difference in the accuracy.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Just checked mine and it says "My Location" is accurate to within 4 meters. When I zoom in on Google Maps, it not only shows my home, it shows the room I am in.
I don't understand why you would only be getting accuracy to a couple of blocks. After all, aren't we all using the same satellites ?

Of course, this is with GPS on.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just checked mine and it says "My Location" is accurate to within 4 meters. When I zoom in on Google Maps, it not only shows my home, it shows the room I am in.
I don't understand why you would only be getting accuracy to a couple of blocks. After all, aren't we all using the same satellites ?

Of course, this is with GPS on.

Yes and no. Some people have use wireless turned on. When it uses this feature, the accuracy is terrible.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Yes and no. Some people have use wireless turned on. When it uses this feature, the accuracy is terrible.

Ahhhh. Thanks for that. I guess I will turn wireless off when using navigation/GPS. Didn't realize wireless overrides GPS when both are on.

Reaction score
I think there may have just been an issue with GPS satellites last night. I noticed your posting time - 7:51 PM. I was using GPS last night at this time as well, and my location was off by 2 or 3 blocks. This was the first and only time this has ever happened to me, so I'm hoping it was based outside of my phone.

hacksaw

Reaction score
Mine is pretty accurate. In maps it will show me inside my house but does usually have me on the wrong side of the room.