Google Mail not sending, but recieves

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've seen it happen before and I don't post anything because I figure if nothing is changing on the phone, then it's most likely not an issue on my end. Usually when I try and send or respond to an email, and it gets stuck on "Sending..." it kills the mail thread and usually I can send within a day. Therefore I figured it's a Google issue and very temporary.

However I haven't been able to send emails all weekend. Anyone think of something in the phone that I haven't thought of that would cause this?

Of all the features that the phone offers, this is one I can't do without.

Thanks!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jim,

First, are you using the "gmail" or the "email" app, or some other client such as K-9? Second, have you tried clearing the data/cache from your app?

Finally, I've encountered some lag in receiving gmail this morning. Gmail arrives and is picked up by K-9 but ignored for about 15 minutes by the gmail app. Very puzzling.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
yes gmail. I'll try the clearing of the data/cache. Seems kind of a pain rather than helpful if that's something you have to do once in a while.

Taegost

Reaction score
I had an issue with that when I was using the stock app, as well as it not notifying me when new mail came in. When I switched to using K9, I haven't had a problem since.
It might help for you as well.

Beardface

Reaction score
Clear out the cache in 'Gmail Storage' as well as the regular Gmail cache. Same thing happened to me and that took care of it.

If you can't find it, when looking at the Applications list, press menu, then choose filter, and make sure All is chosen.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Clear out the cache in 'Gmail Storage' as well as the regular Gmail cache. Same thing happened to me and that took care of it.

If you can't find it, when looking at the Applications list, press menu, then choose filter, and make sure All is chosen.

Absolutely. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the earlier post.

Keep in mind that your Droid is not meant to be the main repository and management site for gmail. It is a mobile extension of the gmail application available on the internet. If you allow email to accumulate on the gmail server (as I do) you have to keep in mind that you don't have at least 80 gigabytes of storage on your Droid and that there are features in the main application that are not supported in the mobile "gmail" app.

The lesson here is to use the gmail app as it was intended; as a mobile notification and (limited) management tool. If you don't want to use a computer for more involved tasks, try accessing gmail via the browser on your phone.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I cleared them out and still not sending. Pretty annoying.

Absolutely. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the earlier post.

Keep in mind that your Droid is not meant to be the main repository and management site for gmail. It is a mobile extension of the gmail application available on the internet. If you allow email to accumulate on the gmail server (as I do) you have to keep in mind that you don't have at least 80 gigabytes of storage on your Droid and that there are features in the main application that are not supported in the mobile "gmail" app.

The lesson here is to use the gmail app as it was intended; as a mobile notification and (limited) management tool. If you don't want to use a computer for more involved tasks, try accessing gmail via the browser on your phone.
Though this makes sense and I have used the browser at times, you can not (that I've found) attach files when sending. This is something that can be important during work. My boss will communicate with me through email as I always get that but the work phone, not so much. But if I can't respond... :(