Google Launches New Nexus Line: Nexus 4, 32GB Nexus 7, Nexus 10 & Android 4.2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus_v16_web_flat.png

It looks like Google couldn't wait to share their excitement despite hurricane Sandy ruining their press event. They went ahead and launched their new Nexus lineup on their Google Blog. Here's the summary, which confirms nearly every rumor we heard previously:
  • First, they are launching a 32GB Nexus 7 tablet after-all. It will be at the $249.99 price point, replacing the 16GB model at that price point. The 16GB model moves downward, replacing the 8GB model at the $199.99 price point.
  • Second, Google is indeed launching their newest version of Android Jelly Bean, version 4.2.
  • Third, Google is launching the new Nexus 4 smartphone, manufactured by LG with this new OS (No LTE).
  • Fourth, Google is launching the new Nexus 10 Android Tablet.
Here are the details below on the pricing structure. You will notice that some of these prices are extremely competitive, especially the new Nexus 10 tablet.
  • Nexus 4: 8GB for $299; 16GB for $349; (both prices are unlocked) available unlocked and without a contract on 11/13 on the Google Play store in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain and Canada. The 16GB version will also be available through T-Mobile for $199, with a 2-year contract (check here for more details).
  • Nexus 7: 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $249; available in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Canada and Japan, and also through our retail partners Gamestop, Office Depot, Office Max, Staples and Walmart.
  • Nexus 7 with 32GB and mobile data: $299 and unlocked, on sale 11/13 in the Google Play store in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain and Canada.
  • Nexus 10: 16GB for $399; 32GB for $499; available on 11/13 in the Google Play Store in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Canada and Japan.
The rumored specs on the Nexus 4 pretty much turned out to be dead-on, and as you can see above, it comes in two varieties, 8GB and 16GB. Of course we already know the specs of the 32GB Nexus 7. Coming up in a bit we will have a separate story with full specs of the new Nexus 10 "iPad killer."

Finally, Android 4.2 will have a host of new intriguing features, including improved photo sharing, gesture typing and more. You can check out the full array of new features here: Android - What's New

Source: GoogleBlog

Last edited:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
No LTE for the Nexus 4 phone is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I just don't see myself going back to T-Mo or AT&T.

Not just yet... I'd have to REALLY REALLY think about it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Where I live, AT&T HSPA is usually around 10-12mbps down and 8mbps up. That is more than enough for me for day to day stuff. Plus, I'm on wifi nearly everywhere...I'm kind of covered. For $349...off contract...thats a pretty awesome price. LG is my only concern. I'll have to wait to see some in hand reviews.

Iggy08

Reaction score
Dusty said:
No LTE for the Nexus 4 phone is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I just don't see myself going back to T-Mo or AT&T.

Not just yet... I'd have to REALLY REALLY think about it.

I don't know if you do get HSPA+ where you live, but if you do and those speeds are enough I would suggest Straight Talk Wireless. They use AT&T network so it's pretty reliable/fast and it's only $45 a month for unlimited everything. I think I may give my phone to my brother and get the Nexus 4, Verizon can suck it lol

HNettles

Reaction score
I was just thinking exactly that. Get a SIM card for Straight Talk using AT&T network, and have at it. I could easily live with HSPA+, especially for $45 a month and no taxes or hidden fees.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I live in D.C. so it would be feasible, but I had AT&T 3 years ago with my old iPhone and it sucked everywhere. Before that I tried T-Mo and it was horrible too.

With those two providers I found that my phone was at best OK in D.C., but when I traveled anywhere the reception was pure trash. My wife has the iPhone 4S on AT&T now and my reception around D.C. is waaaaay better. Unless T-Mo is really good and I haven't heard about it I doubt if I'll change carriers.

AT&T and T-Mo may be OK in your neighborhood but once you travel around your reception turns spotty. Just my observation though.

HNettles

Reaction score
^^^ I can't say the same, not yet. I had a Rezound for several months, and had to keep LTE turned off just to make it through the day on the battery. And yes, I had the extended battery. With my new S3, I just may get spoiled by LTE.

To get back on topic: For those considering getting the Nexus 4, and using it with Straight Talk -- that $45 a month plan does not get you unlimited data. If you go over 2 gigs per month, they are going to whack you. I think for most people, 2 gigs will be plenty. If it isn't, then you probably need to stick with the Verizon unlimited data for as long as they will let you. But please be realistic, it will go away eventually. TANSTAAFL.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm still crushed they have totally abandoned SD card slots. That really set Android apart from Apple... and would have set them apart from Microsoft now, too.
I loved telling my friends, "Yea, I have a 48GB tablet that was cheaper then a 16GB iPad. That's one big reason why I went Android..."
Looks like no Nexus devices for me. I will not buy a device without a slot.

geoff5093

Reaction score
^^^ I can't say the same, not yet. I had a Rezound for several months, and had to keep LTE turned off just to make it through the day on the battery. And yes, I had the extended battery. With my new S3, I just may get spoiled by LTE.

To get back on topic: For those considering getting the Nexus 4, and using it with Straight Talk -- that $45 a month plan does not get you unlimited data. If you go over 2 gigs per month, they are going to whack you. I think for most people, 2 gigs will be plenty. If it isn't, then you probably need to stick with the Verizon unlimited data for as long as they will let you. But please be realistic, it will go away eventually. TANSTAAFL.
I've found I get better battery life with 4G enabled, whenever my phone syncs it can finish much quicker as it takes less time to complete.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to say one thing: it will take time, but I think this is going to put pressure on some of the big three to play ball with Google better. The new Nexus commercial is great for showcasing what you get with pure Google devices and eventually people are going to get tired of seeing those features advertised and then not being able to get them directly from carriers. Again, it won't be an overnight thing but Google is doing it the right way.