Google Earth for 2.1 is out!

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Technically....for those who dont have the app, and are simply trying to makes themselves sane by criticizing us who do by saying "maps does everything Earth does"..doesnt get it.

The app does worldwide scan..true..maps does. But I dont know anyone who can go to maps and click "Japan", and go to a street without an address.

Earth can.

Dont be mad or frustrated cause you dont have it. Work your mojo, follow instructions, and install it.
That is of course if it runs on your phone. Those of us that did get it running can't use it since its so slow and locks up.

INFERNO

Reaction score
Technically....for those who dont have the app, and are simply trying to makes themselves sane by criticizing us who do by saying "maps does everything Earth does"..doesnt get it.

The app does worldwide scan..true..maps does. But I dont know anyone who can go to maps and click "Japan", and go to a street without an address.

Earth can.

Dont be mad or frustrated cause you dont have it. Work your mojo, follow instructions, and install it.
That is of course if it runs on your phone. Those of us that did get it running can't use it since its so slow and locks up.

mine runs very fast and smooth........

butch350

Reaction score
Google Earth...

snip...
[SIZE=-1]http://www.pdablast.com/images/articles/earthand2.png(view image)
Google has made Google Earth available for Android 2.1 phones. The application is in the Android Market and is ready for download. Google says it is "our fastest mobile version of Google Earth yet, with a smooth framerate and a beautiful 800 x 480 screen."

The release of the Nexus One and all its speed has prompted Google to push the limits of a mobile Google Earth by "drawing complex scenes of 3D imagery, terrain, roads, and other layers."

They've added a new feature to Google Earth for Android 2.1 called Roads Layer which is available in the desktop version. They've also taken advantage of Android's voice recognition capabilities. Check it out in the Android Market if you have Android 2.1. [/SIZE]

Hummada

Reaction score
WTH? Google maps is google earth. Why would you install this???

cisco0910

Reaction score
Alrite, , some people are just not well informed. Google earth and Google maps are not the same thing. Hate to be the one to have to have to break the news to you. Do some research before you make comments on what the programs really are. If you go on a desktop or laptop and tell me that google maps and google earth are the same thing then that's flat out Off. Do you guys think if google earth was the same exact thing as google maps we would have both of them still installed?

Last edited by a moderator:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how? mine keeps locking up

SG 4.5 and it runs smooth for me too. I just zoomed into my location (home) tried the "look around" feature with let me look out over the horizon. Then I traced the roads to my work, zipping along the ground.

damn...like I couldn't wait until morning to take that path!

cisco0910

Reaction score
To the ones wbos app keeps freezing or locking up. Try bringing your overclcok down. For some reason it kept locking up on me too when I was OC at 1100. But now my battery profile kicked in now I'm down to 500 ad seems to be running a lot smoother now

ipawd1

Reaction score
Alrite, , some people are just ******. Google earth and Google maps are not the same thing. Hate to be the one to have to have to break the news to you. Do some research before you make ***** comments on what the programs really are. If you go on a desktop or laptop and tell me that google maps and google earth are the same thing then that's flat out ******. Do you guys think if google earth was the same exact thing as google maps we would have both of them still installed?

I didnt want to put it so..bluntly, but I figured I'd let them believe what they shall. :icon_ lala:

Last edited by a moderator:

pyro6128

Reaction score
I'm running BB7.5, but I edited my build.prop so I could dl live wallpapaers, and it's showing up for me. (used root explorer text editor to change ro.build.version.sdk=6 to ro.build.version.sdk=7)

can you explain that further please? Like step by step?

Sure! (I wish I could find the original post for credit, I think it was adrynalyn.) Use Root Explorer to navigate to the system folder, in which you'll find a file called build.prop. Hit the Mount R/W button at the top to allow editing and then long press the build.prop file to bring up a menu. Scroll down to 'open in text editior'. Four lines down in the file you'll see "ro.build.version.sdk=6" ... Change the '6' to a '7', and then back out and hit MountR/O. Reboot, and that should do it.

(Standard disclaimer...Make sure you have a backup before editing if you want to be safe. :) )

Thanks for this, worked perfect the first time without a hitch. Downloading earth right now. I really appreciate the step by step

kellex

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone figure out how to port this over to unrooted users? I tried everything in my bag of tricks and nothing doin'.

pyro6128

Reaction score
this thing is pretty cool, i've used it on a comp before, but it feels very good on the droid. Very fast and responsive too, not the same as maps though. This seems a lot easier to just explore areas with.