Google Drive sync issues on OnePlus 5

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnPlus 5
My father owns a OnePlus 5 (on the latest OS available for the device.) For the last few months (even before he updated to Android 10), he's had problems uploading and syncing (via FolderSync) on Google Drive (also the latest version because of auto-update.) Intermittently whenever he would upload files on Google Drive, he'd see 'Waiting to Upload' on the files but they'd never upload. This problem has persisted on at least two Wi-Fi and two mobile network connections.

The odd thing is that the issue is specific only to a sub-folder within Drive. If he tries to upload to the main Drive directory, the upload happens instantly.

FolderSync works only if I manually sync it. Auto-sync whether instantaneous or every 15 minutes does not work.

I've done the following things to try to repair this issue:

1. Force stopped the app and restarted my phone. (many times)

2. Disabled uploading only while on Wi-Fi.

3. Logged in and out of the app.

4. Cleared app cache and data.

5. Disabled (can't uninstall the app) and enabled the app.

6. Cleared my mobile cache in OnePlus: Wipe Cache OnePlus 6, how to - HardReset.info

7. Disable power-saving and data-optimization for the app.

8. Granted all permissions to the app.
None of these things have worked or made the situation any better. I contacted Google Drive support and they said that if you can upload files without any issues then the problem is with the phone.

I contact OnePlus and the phone cache reset is what they advised. It didn't work and now they've asked me to go to a service centre which I don't want to because it is far away from my house.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum... I don't think it's phone issue in n my option.. have you tried setting up a new folder in Google drive and see if you can upload to it ..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum. I agree with bk completely. I personally would not take my phone to a service center for an issue uploading to one specific Drive folder. What can they do? The only thing they might do is factory reset your phone without you knowing it, and you might lose a lot of data. I would try BK's suggestion....create a new folder in Drive and see if you can upload to it. If you can....copy everything from the old folder into the new one and delete the old folder completely. I think something weird is happening with that one specific folder in your Drive account....not your phone.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
J
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnPlus 5
Y'all have misunderstood my problem.

There is the main Google Drive directory where all folders are stored, right?
So any folder you create is technically in:
Google Drive/Folder A

What I am saying is that I can't upload files to any folders within Google Drive. The issue comes and go. It is often stuck on 'Waiting to Upload' but doesn't go away regardless of my connection type.
What's strange, however, is that I can upload to main Google Drive directory (or onto it directly) easily without any issues.

This issue is quite strange.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
How exactly are you trying to upload files to Drive? Are you using an app that is trying to auto-sync some kind of data to a folder within Drive? Or are you opening the Drive app > then the folder > then the Upload / Add file option?

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnPlus 5
Both methods. FolderSync doesn't auto-sync and trying to upload onto any folder means are problematic.

If I try to upload into a folder I get 'Waiting to Upload' interminably.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So you are using an app called FolderSync and are trying to let the app automatically sync data to a folder in Google Drive? Is that correct?

OP
J
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnPlus 5
So you are using an app called FolderSync and are trying to let the app automatically sync data to a folder in Google Drive? Is that correct?

I am doing both - manually uploading and using FolderSync to sync folders.. You can forget about FolderSync because the manual upload is much more important to me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I saw user review comments for that app in the Play Store claiming that manual upload of files does not work when auto-sync is enabled. Maybe that's what is happening in your case?

OP
J
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnPlus 5
Auto-sync covers the apps installed, call logs, messages and (can't think of any), right?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know anything about that app, or what it does. Only what I read in the FAQ about sync issues and user reviews.