Google Docs gets makeover for the mobile world

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
dot1dc.jpg

Google has been constantly refreshing its commitment to mobile communication with frequent updates to Android, Google Voice, Google Buzz, and Chrome-to-Phone, among other projects. However, up until now, something that vanilla Android had been lacking was an inherent and built-in document/pdf viewer.

Well, today that has all changed. Google has finally made public a mobile version of Google Docs, running completely on the web. Simply visit docs.google.com from your Android phone (and presumably any smartphone), and you will be able to view documents, spreadsheets, pdfs, and powerpoints that are saved remotely on Google's servers.

Google Docs Mobile Layout

gdocs2[dfnet].png

Google Docs Spreadsheet

gdocs1[dfnet].png

Although Google Docs mobile seems to have some issues editing straight from the mobile device, it works perfectly as a document reader. After a quick run-through, I found it to load documents rather speedily, and they looked great on my Motorola Droid. There were a few display errors in the Spreadsheet rendering, but I bet we will see improvements in the project sooner, rather than later. I also hope we will eventually be able to view and edit docs stored locally on the phone's SDcard; as of now we can only access documents in Google's cloud.

So what do you guys think? Does Google Docs provide enough to dump your third-party document app?

via ShadeZ
Source: Google

goldenu

Reaction score
Can't be tied to online only

So what do you guys think? Does Google Docs provide enough to dump your third-party document app?
Source: Google

Nope...until/unless I can manage my office info offline, this would be unusable for me. I'm sure the vast majority of you are on Verizon, where *not* being online is an unusual event, but a few of us have our Droids on other carriers where cell coverage, let alone data coverage, can be spotty.

Fulle

Reaction score
Drop Box + Dedicated Office App (like Documents to Go)...

Google docs will probably get there though, eventually... but until they make it possible to continue to work on your documents with a dead or spotty data connection.... Drop Box + dedicated office app.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Drop Box + Dedicated Office App (like Documents to Go)...

Google docs will probably get there though, eventually... but until they make it possible to continue to work on your documents with a dead or spotty data connection.... Drop Box + dedicated office app.

yes, i still use Documents to Go... stellar app. But what Google is doing here is certainly promising for the future.

Fulle

Reaction score
I agree. It wouldn't take much to add the ability to work offline, and then just have the docs sync to the cloud... but, I'm not going to hold my breath too long. I mean, where's the ability to filter out toll roads on the Nav? Seems like Google likes to release awesome stuff, that's missing 1 or 2 dealbreaking features.

REARless

Reaction score
I agree. It wouldn't take much to add the ability to work offline, and then just have the docs sync to the cloud... but, I'm not going to hold my breath too long. I mean, where's the ability to filter out toll roads on the Nav? Seems like Google likes to release awesome stuff, that's missing 1 or 2 dealbreaking features.

It's there, when in Navigation, go to "Route Info" then check the avoid toll roads.

I use Google Docs exclusively now. I am willing to bet they will have an offline feature, just like corporate Gmail does, sometime soon.