Google Drive Officially Released by Google

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-drive-announced.png

It turns out that our teaser article from this morning was accurate. Google Drive was officially released today. You can pick up the app over at the Google Play Store and start uploading your important data to store in Google's "cloud." Here's a quote from the Google Play Store with a description:
Keep everything. Share anything.

*** Google Docs is now a part of Google Drive! ***
* Keep everything. Share anything.
* With Google Drive, you can store all your files in one place, so you can access them from anywhere and share them with others
* Use the Google Drive Android app to access your photos, documents, videos and other files stored on your Google Drive
* Upload files to Google Drive directly from your Android device
* Share any file with your contacts
* Access files others have shared with you on Google Drive
* Make any file available offline so you can access them even when you don't have an Internet connection
* Create and edit Google documents with rich text formatting
* Edits to your Google documents appear to collaborators in seconds
* Make quick changes to spreadsheets
* View your PDFs, presentations and more
* Upload and convert files to the Google Docs format
* Take a photo of printed text and convert it to a Google document
* Optimized experience to take advantage of larger screens for tablet users, Honeycomb (Android 3.0+)

The app is free and the initial 5GB of storage is also free. Here is the pricing structure for the higher levels of storage with Google Drive:
You can choose to upgrade to 25GB for $2.49/month, 100GB for $4.99/month or even 1TB for $49.99/month. When you upgrade to a paid account, your Gmail account storage will also expand to 25GB.

Here's the Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
50GB- Box
2GB- Zumo
6.7GB- DropBox
5GB- G Drive

I think I'm set.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Yea I had to change the build.prop on my D2 when I had it to look like a LG phone, and I got it lol

This was a different promotion. All you had to do was download the BOX app for android. Didn't matter which phone you had.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
So besides it having more free storage how is it different from any other cloud storage? It gives you the option of storing it off line but with Dropbox anything you sync is avalible off line automatically. So I don't have to worry about if I marked a pic or doc off line. It seems to me that with it's current features, Drive is a day late and a dollar short when it comes to cloud storage. Nothing to see here folks...move along.

This was posted using my Rezound.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I had an update from Docs to Drive when I went to the Play store. I clicked the update. I lost the Docs icon, got the Drive icon, but I got the not ready message. When I click the Drive icon Docs open up

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Prices are pretty good. 2gigs is enough for most, but I have large files. So I just go the poor-man's route using Dropbox and now Google. I have a couple of gmail accounts, so it's perfect for work and personal. Or maybe I'll just dedicate my 8gigs on Dropbox to work.

The big game-changer, to me, was Google Music backing-up your music library. Up to 20,000 songs that's a ton of space. The only way you come up short between these services now is if you have a bunch of video.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Prices are pretty good. 2gigs is enough for most, but I have large files. So I just go the poor-man's route using Dropbox and now Google. I have a couple of gmail accounts, so it's perfect for work and personal. Or maybe I'll just dedicate my 8gigs on Dropbox to work.

The big game-changer, to me, was Google Music backing-up your music library. Up to 20,000 songs that's a ton of space. The only way you come up short between these services now is if you have a bunch of video.

You're right - $5/month for 100gb of synced space is really really competitive when compared to the likes of Dropbox, Sugarsync, etc. - excluding temporary deals like Box.net's 50gb for free thing.

sharpz

Reaction score
Mine still says I will be alerted when my Drive account is ready. I don't get it because on my Google Apps account it is already live, but my personal gmail is way older and yet its not ready? Anyone have any idea how long I will have to wait?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I will be keeping an eye on it but until the can match dropbox(desktop sync app with files available offline) I will stick with dropbox. Plus I have earned like 15GB or so of free space on Dropbox from referrals.