Google Contact Sync, My Contacts vs ALL Contacts

jman8484

Reaction score
So, switching from my iPhone 3G today to the Droid X (hooray!). So far, everything is a thousand times better - but I'm confused about the contact sync. Is there a way to sync only specific Google contacts and/or groups? Right now ALL of my Google contacts are being imported (every email address I've ever contacted - thousands), and this is uber-annoying.

Failing the ability to customize the sync - is there an app anyone might suggest that would allow a one time push of my Google contacts, so I can just fix after the fact?

Also, somewhat related... It'd be nice to sync only Facebook/Twitter contacts that have a match on my phone (e.g., I could see my friend's latest status messages, tweets) but that wouldn't import EVERYONE I'm following. I mean, Danny DeVito is great and all, but I don't need his twitter account in my contact list.

jsmith39

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, can't figure out how to sync just my Google 'phone group'. When I go into contact settings and select Manage account\Google account I can choose to enable Calendar\Contacts\Gmail but not any subgroups of Contacts. When I go into settings I can disable/enable my Gmail account but that's the only options.

cloutier

Reaction score
i'm curious about this as well.

been reading about it for a couple days now, and while i await my phone, i'm wondering if i should go through and purge tons and tons of contacts from my gmail, or if just having "from old phone" group will be good enough and it'll only snag those names / numbers.

cloutier

Reaction score
was anyone able to test this and confirm anything yet?

i'm really not looking forward to having it puke some 4000 plus e.mail addresses with NO phone numbers attached to my phone. i'd rather it just take a csv file of all my contacts from my iphone and be done with it, or only take one group of names from my contact list on gmail (which i uploaded from the same csv).

Myst420

Reaction score
I don't know if it is the same with the Droid X, but with the original Droid, if you go to contacts and goto the Display options, rather than sync options....you have the options in there. Once in the display settings, you can choose which contacts groups to show and hide.

zippy

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has found an answer for this issue. Apparently, the Droid X will sync ALL contacts from Gmail if there is a phone number attached to the contact regardless of the group the contact is in within Gmail.

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I can't seem to find a resolution and am hoping to just get an answer. I don't want to have to delete a bunch of contacts from Gmail just so they don't sync to my Droid X. My Droid1 only brought over the contacts in the "My Contacts" group, regardless of whether or not they had a phone number. This is exactly what I want! Thanks everyone!

zippy

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The contacts under the Phone Dialer icon (phone handset) not the Contact icon (little head and shoulders) is where it pulls in all of the contacts from Gmail. There isn't anyway to specify which contacts show up in the Dialer on the Contacts tab that I can see.

I know that you can select the contact Display Group under the Contacts icon (little head and shoulders), but you can't do it under the Dialer icon (phone handset) as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

dimsom

Reaction score
try this?

i actually did everything through my gmail account when switching to my droid x. i had a bb storm before and i exported all contacts to a csv and then imported them into google. it then created a "phone contacts" tag for everything that came from my phone. then when i went over to my droid x and it only imported the contacts that i had in that one tag.

FWIW i would look at managing your contacts in your gmail on your computer. then whatever you do there will be 1) easier and 2) it will push to your phone when you're done. maybe try starting over and export from your iphone first and try to get that one tag to show up.

HarshReality

Reaction score
We Droid 1 guys dont have this issue.. seems that the Droid X is soooo special that maybe it can handle all your contacts whether you want it to or not ;) j/k