Google Confirms Nexus S to get ICS; Fall Rollout for Most Gingerbread Devices too!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ics-nexus-s-soon.jpg

According to a report that Engadget made from the Samsung/Google event last night, they heard straight from Google's Gabe Cohen that the Nexus S will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich. Supposedly, they are already working on porting it to the device, and it shouldn't take too long. Cohen further elaborated that most Gingerbread devices will get the upgrade, saying: "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device."

In fact, another report from ThisIsMyNext confirms that is the plan. Andy Rubin, Android's CEO himself, indicated in an interview at the AsiaD conference, that Google was planning to start rolling out ICS "a couple of weeks" after its launch. That means, that we should start seeing Android 4.0 coming to our Gingerbread devices as early as December!

Yum. I love Ice Cream Sandwiches. How about you guys?

Source: Android.net via Engadget and ThisIsMyNext

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
I've seen this DX grow through many growths spurts....Froyo, GB, HC bits, CM7 (2nd-init). I sure would love some ICS *drooling*

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Bionic & ICS

I agree best news to come out yet. I was more excited about ICS than the nexus phone.
Only problem I see for the Bionic is the Bionic probably wont get ICS until after the Razor since it is just getting released & they want people to buy it.
Motorola ICS will probably be the same build for the Razor & Bionic But the Bionic wont get it until a few months after the Razor.
I hope I am wrong but it just makes good marketing sense.

I have not rooted my Bionic but I may have to just so I can get ICS in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure it will be available to rooters as a plain vanilla long before the Motorola over the air update comes out.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I agree best news to come out yet. I was more excited about ICS than the nexus phone.
Only problem I see for the Bionic is the Bionic probably wont get ICS until after the Razor since it is just getting released & they want people to buy it.
Motorola ICS will probably be the same build for the Razor & Bionic But the Bionic wont get it until a few months after the Razor.
I hope I am wrong but it just makes good marketing sense.

I have not rooted my Bionic but I may have to just so I can get ICS in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure it will be available to rooters as a plain vanilla long before the Motorola over the air update comes out.

You may be right, but from a public relations standpoint, the Bionic should see it first if not at the same time. Motorola & VZW knows how irked Bionic owners are now, imagine the outcry that they would receive if the newer device got ICS 1st. I'm not saying that this is how it's going to play out, but it's HOW it should play out.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
However, its up to the carriers to push out the update. I mean, come on. It takes them how long to get an update for one phone, let alone all past phone for the last year or so. I doubt many phones will see ICS. I'll rely on CyanogenMod and the 2nd init to get me to ICS on my DroidX. Plus, Moto and HTC put their crap UIs on top of it. That is what takes so long.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I said this in another thread and I think it fits here too...
I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if OEMs roll out either:

1) Vanilla ICS for currently skinned (i.e. SenseUI, Blur) GB devices or
2) ICS (after adding their mandatory bloat) in under 6 months on >50% of all devices released within the past year.

When will the average Joe see ICS on his/her device? History says it'll be hit or miss and don't count on it any time soon.

Sorry to be so negative, but after what I experienced on my DX and TB there is NO WAY I'm giving the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I think it was 11 months before the DX got official GB? So who knows how long it will be!

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I said this in another thread and I think it fits here too...
I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if OEMs roll out either:

1) Vanilla ICS for currently skinned (i.e. SenseUI, Blur) GB devices or
2) ICS (after adding their mandatory bloat) in under 6 months on >50% of all devices released within the past year.

When will the average Joe see ICS on his/her device? History says it'll be hit or miss and don't count on it any time soon.

Sorry to be so negative, but after what I experienced on my DX and TB there is NO WAY I'm giving the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt.

You could be right also, but remember, Google is trying to get android unfragmented as soon as possible, and all phones on the same playing field. So I personally don't think we (Meaning everyone who has Gingerbread) will have to wait much longer after it's release to see it.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
SWEEEEEET!!!!!! This is good news to anyone who has a dual core phone! Atleast now it will have a proper OS on it!:D

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Andy Rubin, Android's CEO himself, indicated in an interview at the AsiaD conference, that Google was planning to start rolling out ICS "a couple of weeks" after its launch. That means, that we should start seeing Android 4.0 coming to our Gingerbread devices as early as December!

What that should've said was this:

"... Google was planning to start rolling out ICS "a couple of weeks" after its launch, to the carriers so they can hold it, tweak it, etc. to their liking... therefore no ETA for our devices, but it should be soon!"

:D

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I think it was 11 months before the DX got official GB? So who knows how long it will be!

Precisely! Some devices JUST got GB OTA only a few weeks ago! Ha! Fuggetaboutit!

Oowoon

Reaction score
If it rolls out for even the newest devices by the end or the year, i'll be shocked. What with the patterns we are seeing with the OEMs.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums