Google Chrome for Android Receives Update, Works With Custom Roms

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-chrome-logo.png

Today Google released an update for their Android Google Chrome beta. The new update brings a bunch of bug fixes, including a fix addressing “issues in the compatibility check which prevented Chrome from starting up on some versions of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This should hopefully solve issues launching Chrome on devices with custom ROMs. It is important to remember that Chrome for Android is only in beta and still has a few known issues. Such as:

- 112923 : No way to toggle between mobile/desktop UA

- 113140 : Youtube links do not prompt for which application to use

- 113132 : Chrome for Android beta doesn't support configured proxy in wi-fi settings

If you’re using Chrome on Android and encounter any new issues, Google encourages you to fill out a bug report here. Let us know what you think of think of the new update and if it solved any of your issues in our forums.

By eDogNights

Source(s): ChromeOSForums.net via AndroidPolice and GoogleChromeBlog

xsirxx

Reaction score
How do we get this? It currently says my device is incompatible... Do I need to grab it from my tablet and then link it with market or something?

--X

geoff5093

Reaction score
How do we get this? It currently says my device is incompatible... Do I need to grab it from my tablet and then link it with market or something?

--X
It only works on ICS

xsirxx

Reaction score
Perhaps Google "Play" only allows it to be installed on devices which officially support ICS, just a guess.

"This should hopefully solve issues launching Chrome on devices with custom ROMs" from article.

One would assume that this meant devices that run custom ICS not official custom ics rom. I got my hopes up :(.

--X