Google Calendar and Android phone/table remindres

Malkavian

Reaction score
I have a new issue that I just noticed. I have a recurring event on my Google calendar. This event has a reminder set for it to remind me 1 day before at 8:00 pm.

When this was synced with my phone and my tablet, both running Android 4.4.2 the reminder didn't come through and was set to 10 minutes before the time of the event. Since the event is a full day event, 10 minutes before is 11:50 the night before.

To get around this I have set the reminder to 4 hours before, this would make it 8:00 pm of the day before.

I thought this might be a limitation of the Business Calendar 2 app that I use, but I have the same issue with the native calendar app.

Is this a limitation of the Android OS? This would be a great addition to the OS.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Can you give be all the date/time parameters? I'll try to recreate it and see if it does the same for me.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
On PC or MAC, use a browser to create an all-day appointment. Then set a reminder for the appointment to be 1 day before at <some time>. Let it Sync and see what the event shows after that on your phone or tablet.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Reminders don't transfer and there's not a way to make them do so that I'm aware of. We have a similar "issue" with our shared family calendar. We both add to it so we know what each other is up to and/or when we have my stepson on days we wouldn't normally, or when he has school functions that we both should attend, etc.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what reminders either of us sets on our own device. As far as I can tell, the reminders are device specific, meaning they only function on the device that you use to add the event to the calendar.

It's kind of a double-edged sword really, because I don't need the Mrs.' reminders for her work schedule and when I put things on there from my phone, she gets them, but I can see how you'd want certain reminders to pop up regardless of which device you use.

A few options:

There may be another third party calendar app that can sync notifications between devices, but I'm not aware of one off the top of my head, since it's not really a problem that I have, but a situation that I've noticed.

A slight work-around without a third party app would be to change the default reminder time on your devices, but I'm still not sure how that'd translate to an event added from another device and then you'd have the weird 4 hours ahead of time reminder automatically setup on any new even created on that device.

Google Now notifies me of things like the Mrs.' work schedule when I wake up, but it always defaults to showing the weather in the notification panel and gives me the total number of cards it has to show me, so probably not the best for you.

When I first started using Samsung devices, the Samsung calendar would automatically create gmail alerts for me, which drove me nuts, but might be the easiest answer to your issue, assuming you keep up on your emails fairly well. If you can select for them to email you from the PC at a certain time for these events and you have that gmail address setup on all of your devices, you'll at least get that email no matter which device you're using.

Personally, I keep a full homescreen dedicated to my calendar widget. It's right next to my main home screen, so one swipe takes me to an agenda view of everything I've got going on for the next week or so, including things that she set up for us that I'm unaware of otherwise. (Whenever you tells me about something, my first question is always, "Did you put it in the calendar?")

Hopefully one of those option can help you out and get you the results you're looking for. As I said, I don't really want ever device I own to start ringing just because of one event, but I can see how it'd be quite handy to have the device you're currently looking at remind you of something without having to go in to each device and setup those reminders.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reminders don't transfer and there's not a way to make them do so that I'm aware of. We have a similar "issue" with our shared family calendar. We both add to it so we know what each other is up to and/or when we have my stepson on days we wouldn't normally, or when he has school functions that we both should attend, etc.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what reminders either of us sets on our own device. As far as I can tell, the reminders are device specific, meaning they only function on the device that you use to add the event to the calendar.

It's kind of a double-edged sword really, because I don't need the Mrs.' reminders for her work schedule and when I put things on there from my phone, she gets them, but I can see how you'd want certain reminders to pop up regardless of which device you use.

A few options:

There may be another third party calendar app that can sync notifications between devices, but I'm not aware of one off the top of my head, since it's not really a problem that I have, but a situation that I've noticed.

A slight work-around without a third party app would be to change the default reminder time on your devices, but I'm still not sure how that'd translate to an event added from another device and then you'd have the weird 4 hours ahead of time reminder automatically setup on any new even created on that device.

Google Now notifies me of things like the Mrs.' work schedule when I wake up, but it always defaults to showing the weather in the notification panel and gives me the total number of cards it has to show me, so probably not the best for you.

When I first started using Samsung devices, the Samsung calendar would automatically create gmail alerts for me, which drove me nuts, but might be the easiest answer to your issue, assuming you keep up on your emails fairly well. If you can select for them to email you from the PC at a certain time for these events and you have that gmail address setup on all of your devices, you'll at least get that email no matter which device you're using.

Personally, I keep a full homescreen dedicated to my calendar widget. It's right next to my main home screen, so one swipe takes me to an agenda view of everything I've got going on for the next week or so, including things that she set up for us that I'm unaware of otherwise. (Whenever you tells me about something, my first question is always, "Did you put it in the calendar?")

Hopefully one of those option can help you out and get you the results you're looking for. As I said, I don't really want ever device I own to start ringing just because of one event, but I can see how it'd be quite handy to have the device you're currently looking at remind you of something without having to go in to each device and setup those reminders.
I must be doing something wrong. Mine cross devices every time, no matter which one I set it up on.
Do you have the calendar set to sync under Google account?
Go to main settings, accounts, Google, long press the account, sync options show up.
If that isn't the proper way to make it cross sync I have no idea how I did it years ago when I first started using Google calendar.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I must be doing something wrong. Mine cross devices every time, no matter which one I set it up on.
Do you have the calendar set to sync under Google account?
Go to main settings, accounts, Google, long press the account, sync options show up.
If that isn't the proper way to make it cross sync I have no idea how I did it years ago when I first started using Google calendar.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Yes. I leave everything turned on in the sync settings that I actually use.

Maybe I'm wrong because of the whole "shared" calendar thing I have with the Mrs., because now that I think about it, I get reminders on my tablet on the rare occasion it's on at the right time, but that's for older reoccurring events. I'll have to do some playing around with this.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but I believe OP mentioned inputting events on the PC. Does that change how reminders work for you? I can't remember the last time I created an even using the PC. I always create them on my phone or tablet.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
What I have ended up doing is setting the event on my phone to 4 hours before so that give me the day before at 8pm on an all day event. Whe I input the event on the PC with a reminder of '1 day before at 8pm', it reverts to 10 minutes when it syncs with my phone and my tablet. It's as if Google Web Calendar has added a feature and andorid has not caught up with it yet.

This is not a shared caledar, this is just my personal caledar.
All Sync settings are to go through my gmail account.

The only reason I sometimes create them on the PC is because that is where I'm sitting when I need to create the event and it is sometimes faster to open a new tab in the caledar, create the event and go back to what I was doing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. I leave everything turned on in the sync settings that I actually use.

Maybe I'm wrong because of the whole "shared" calendar thing I have with the Mrs., because now that I think about it, I get reminders on my tablet on the rare occasion it's on at the right time, but that's for older reoccurring events. I'll have to do some playing around with this.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but I believe OP mentioned inputting events on the PC. Does that change how reminders work for you? I can't remember the last time I created an even using the PC. I always create them on my phone or tablet.
What's a pc?
I actually had to use the one at work Saturday and honestly with it not having Swype I was lost. It really did take a couple of minutes to reacclimate to using a mouse and keyboard.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I have ended up doing is setting the event on my phone to 4 hours before so that give me the day before at 8pm on an all day event. Whe I input the event on the PC with a reminder of '1 day before at 8pm', it reverts to 10 minutes when it syncs with my phone and my tablet. It's as if Google Web Calendar has added a feature and andorid has not caught up with it yet.

This is not a shared caledar, this is just my personal caledar.
All Sync settings are to go through my gmail account.

The only reason I sometimes create them on the PC is because that is where I'm sitting when I need to create the event and it is sometimes faster to open a new tab in the caledar, create the event and go back to what I was doing.
I think it's the All Day thing. Perhaps instead set the event to start at 8pm that day and set a reminder for 24 hours prior? I know I changed birthdays and other recurring events from all day to 6am because it kept sending the reminder a month+ in advance, not just the wrong time, no matter what I set the reminder . I get the reminder at 6am the day before now, just like I want it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have bills and things setup as all day events and those show reminders, but I have them all set to remind me at least a few days up to a week in advance. I'll have to look into them more though to see exactly what I've got set. I seem to remember still waking up to them, so I think they alert me a week in advance at midnight or somewhere in there.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
Since this issue just appeared. I will most likely just set events for the time I want to event to appear on the day of the event and set the reminder to hit me 24hours before. This seems like the most convenient way to do. This is a cool feature and I hope that in the future android will update itself to be able to handle this.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
I have this app as well and it also has the issue. I really don't believe it's an app issue, I think it is something in the underlying code of the Android OS not being able to handle a reminder like that just yet.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have this app as well and it also has the issue. I really don't believe it's an app issue, I think it is something in the underlying code of the Android OS not being able to handle a reminder like that just yet.
I'm not even sure it's an issue in the underlying code so much as an issue with the information that syncs.

As I said, I'd hate to get reminders of my fiance's work schedule, because it's nice to know when she's working and what office (She's part-time at a medical office building, so she bounces around to the different offices there almost daily some weeks), but I don't need to be alerted on my phone.

However, when it's something that actually matters to me to be notified so I don't miss something that doesn't happen 5 days a week, I'd be upset if I didn't get my reminders.