Google Assistant Making It's Way To More Nougat and Marshmallow Devices!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just tested this out and 9/10 it played the proper album. Play <band name> <album name>

I tried all over the board, Linkin Park reanimation worked, fun some nights didn't. Acdc back in black didn't, but acd black ice did, queen greatest hits worked. Aerosmith worked, hell even saying play evanescence evanescence worked which was surprising. Oh and imagine dragons first album as well. Im gonna keep trying things and put together a list to post here.

I'm not sure what they changed that broke it on yours but try some other albums or some of these and see if you get the same results.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Oh sure. You had success with the one way I didn't try. I never said the band name before the album name when I was trying it.

Like I said, not something I do very often personally...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems like it only works if the album exists in the Play Store. Insane. What a waste of a great feature. I might as well just get Spotify because I can't just scroll through my albums while driving and I don't always know song names off the top of my head.

Google is literally making me consider paying for a third party music provider, instead of them, just to use a voice command feature properly. Great way to ensure you don't get new customers.

Not quite, cause back in black is on the play store as well as some nights. It seems that their algo or whatever they've coded to allow for this feature isn't 100%

Oh sure. You had success with the one way I didn't try. I never said the band name before the album name when I was trying it.

Like I said, not something I do very often personally...

Yeah I learned a few months ago I could tell google to play whatever I wanted and then tell it to open maps or whatever else and it would... I was super excited when I figured those features out.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It seems like it only works if the album exists in the Play Store. Insane. What a waste of a great feature. I might as well just get Spotify because I can't just scroll through my albums while driving and I don't always know song names off the top of my head.

Google is literally making me consider paying for a third party music provider, instead of them, just to use a voice command feature properly. Great way to ensure you don't get new customers.
Why not just go back to using the Google app to play music and don't use Assistant. Since Assistant is so much like Google Home, it may only play specific music IF you have a paid subscription to Play Music. That's how Home works and this Assistant looks exactly like Home

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Why not just go back to using the Google app to play music and don't use Assistant. Since Assistant is so much like Google Home, it may only play specific music IF you have a paid subscription to Play Music. That's how Home works and this Assistant looks exactly like Home

How do disable assistant without also disabling OK Google?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know if you can "disable" it since it doesn't appear to be a true app. But if there is a way to setup OK Google detection within Assistant then there should be a way to turn OK Google detection Off within the Assistant Settings. Then open the Google App and setup OK Google detection there, like it was before Assistant. I would think that's possible. As soon as I saw that Assistant wanted me to train an OK Google voice model I stopped. I'm not giving up Moto Voice and Google Now for Assistant. At least not until I'm forced to.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just got Assistant on my OG turbo. It does seem that if Assistant is enabled, Moto Voice Google Search fails.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know if you can "disable" it since it doesn't appear to be a true app. But if there is a way to setup OK Google detection within Assistant then there should be a way to turn OK Google detection Off within the Assistant Settings. Then open the Google App and setup OK Google detection there, like it was before Assistant. I would think that's possible. As soon as I saw that Assistant wanted me to train an OK Google voice model I stopped. I'm not giving up Moto Voice and Google Now for Assistant. At least not until I'm forced to.

Did it download as assistant, did you get an update to the Google app, or was it server side?

I'm guessing an update. I'm also guessing it's not possible to do what you're suggesting. It's not like A Voice vs Google Now on a Samsung phone.

While they're different, I believe they're heavily intertwined...

Sent from my Pixel XL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing downloaded and no notifications appeared. I just held the Home button and poof...Welcome to Google Assistant. I clicked no to setup a launch phrase. Clicked around Assistant a little bit, looked at the Settings and that was about it. Since I didn't train a launch phrase my Moto Voice phrase still opens Google Now. To me, on non Pixel phones Assistant looks like it just replaced Google Now On Tap and is totally separate from the Google app.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nothing downloaded and no notifications appeared. I just held the Home button and poof...Welcome to Google Assistant. I clicked no to setup a launch phrase. Clicked around Assistant a little bit, looked at the Settings and that was about it. Since I didn't train a launch phrase my Moto Voice phrase still opens Google Now. To me, on non Pixel phones Assistant looks like it just replaced Google Now On Tap and is totally separate from the Google app.

That makes sense, but if you don't have something like Moto Voice, I'm still wondering if it's possible to do that, or if Google Now's settings are one in the same with Assistant's...

Sent from my Pixel XL

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

Looking now into this it appears as if Google assistant is completely replacing Google now...

Here's some photos, and same here, no update or anything just. Tried to use Google now and I was greeted with a setup screen.

As far as. I can tell it's going to eventually be a complete replacement but Google is doing a pretty poor job of rolling it out while removing or breaking features... Pretty much like they do everything.

Here's the photos

b54b583b4e16ef3059c2acfff00db3bc.jpg

5525e1eb81ea755b065c3d85538fab27.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It does look like the Assistant Settings for Voice just opens the Google App Settings. It looks like the OK Google settings for both are intertwined. Hmmmmm....Wonder what happen if you Clear Data for the Google app, then open it and setup OK Google detection and never open Assistant?

RyanPm40

Reaction score
That makes sense, but if you don't have something like Moto Voice, I'm still wondering if it's possible to do that, or if Google Now's settings are one in the same with Assistant's...

Sent from my Pixel XL

Correct. You can not long-press the home button or say "OK Google" without it giving you a prompt to reenable assistant.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
It does look like the Assistant Settings for Voice just opens the Google App Settings. It looks like the OK Google settings for both are intertwined. Hmmmmm....Wonder what happen if you Clear Data for the Google app, then open it and setup OK Google detection and never open Assistant?

Hmm I'll have to give it a shot later, but I'm not too hopeful. I think the upgrade is built into Play Services, not the Google app, and as far as I know, you cannot roll back play services?

EDIT

Ok, I managed to roll back to Google Now. The way I did it was by changing my language settings from English (US) to English (United Kingdom). I guess it's only being rolled out regionally.

Now, an album searches as it used to, but when it launches Play Music, it's like the app opens half way (Doesn't even fully maximize in screen), and then immediately goes back to the Google Now search. The album simply will not play, even though the search says it has been found. Maybe a bad Play Music update. Idk at this point, but such a bummer. Google's getting worse and worse over the years, I feel like their app updates have been buggier than ever. They really need to work on their QA.

EDIT2

Okay, so now everything is working perfectly again! Something got very messed up with the Google app and Play Music app. What I did was completely uninstall updates for both apps and then updated them again. I am still in Google Now On Tap instead of Assistant, and it is launching my music normally. I even switched back from English (United Kingdom) to English (US), and it hasn't brought Google Assistant back yet. Thank God.

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having an issue where if you're on your home screen and you press the home screen button it opens. GA and then. If you press your home key again it goes home and instantly OPENS GA again, it's an endless cycle until you press the back button and it seems like a bug that shouldn't have been overlooked.

Mark_V

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G4 Plus
Anyone else having an issue where if you're on your home screen and you press the home screen button it opens. GA and then. If you press your home key again it goes home and instantly OPENS GA again, it's an endless cycle until you press the back button and it seems like a bug that shouldn't have been overlooked.

I have a Moto G4 Plus and I'm not having that issue.

The issue I am having is that GA is not unlocking my phone when I say "OK Google". I know it's not a speaking error because it never works when the screen is off and always works when the screen is on. I have trusted voice in GA set enabled and Nova's hotword enabled as well.

I've searched and searched for an answer and it seems like it should be working but it's not. :(