google app market now called "Play Store"?

captdroid

Reaction score
Yea I think they must have intended this naming convention new unified approach to be Google Pay not Play :)

Pay music, Pay Books, Pay Store

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I heard the name that is EXACTLY what I thought. Like Sony Xperia Play. I'm shocked Sony isn't suing for calling the market "play". I don't know.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

Ah, that's it! Really probably should have thought of a different name lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Riley

Reaction score
When I heard the name that is EXACTLY what I thought. Like Sony Xperia Play. I'm shocked Sony isn't suing for calling the market "play". I don't know.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

It is very odd for sure, nothing looks any different other than the names and icons. Still the name Play was a strange choice. Nice Telecaster in your avatar. :)

Escobar

Reaction score
I got a problem. Mine wasn't updating so I went in to the market. It said they were changing it and I heard about the problems so I didn't agree to the terms of service, so it closed out. When I clicked it, it said that it wouldn't work and I should try restarting go launcher ex. I did and still won't work. I restarted my phone and it still won't work. Now what?

Sent from my HTZ REZOUND using DroidForums

pool_shark

Reaction score
What's in a name...
As far as not informing anyone, they informed everyone who reads news articles.
I knew it was coming.

mikemartin88

Reaction score
...and of course the workaround to install Google Wallet starting in the browser then going back and using the Market doesn't work anymore.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
mine is still the same green bag

same as mine..it only change when added the widget to my homescreen. after i added the widget i pressed it and it launch to goolge play then the 'market' disappeared and google play appeared. dumb but what ever

kmo

Reaction score
Don't see this change on my device yet....guess it will update eventually.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
It was a two part change for me. I got a notice that there was a change to the market last night, but the name was the same. Today when I accessed it I got a message that the name changed and I had to accept the new TOS. Then the icon was gone from my home screen. Not a big deal to add it back etc.

As for the name change... I'm pretty neutral really. It's an odd choice but I think Google is trying to synchronize the names of their apps (wonder if GMail will get a name change?). Doesn't affect my day-to-day operation of my phone, icon looks funny though (I liked the Android dude).

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I think its a great idea and I like the market. I just think its a terrible name for a brand whose purpose is to unify your products.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Atom702

Reaction score
I was updating angry birds seasons when the "play" update came through. Froze my phone and deleted seasons, the whole game. Update is nice, though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

huskur

Reaction score
Have you gotten the new updated "market"? AKA Play Store (by Google) and have the unusable icon in your app drawer for your old "market"? (the one by the clock when you have the app drawer open) Maybe you want the "market" back.

That all leads to a question?!? Can't you just go to "manage apps" and select "all" then go to "Play Store" and select "uninstall updates" and get the market back with a working icon in the app drawer?

Just curious. Some people might want the old market back until they get the icon in the app drawer working for the Play Store.

Can anyone confirm this? (I would try but my Maxx is on charge at the moment in my work truck)