google app market now called "Play Store"?

Reaction score
all of a sudden my usual app market green bag widget disappeared, and now i have a white bag called "play market". i tap it and it brings me to the google app market. anyone else? lol

vernon

Reaction score
I don't have anything anymore.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using DroidForums

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
I don't have anything anymore.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using DroidForums

yeah it took a few minutes for that play store widget to appear. meanwhile i had nothing. weird way to make an unannounced transition....:icon_eek:

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score

William_04_x

Reaction score
I wonder who's dumb idea this was? Do they think people are turned off by the term "market"?

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score
ahh thanks, i wasn't 100% on what was going on. at first i thought i had a virus that was routing me to a bogus market or something lol.

:D really probably freaking out a bunch of people... suddenly market gone and something called Play Store appears... lol

captdroid

Reaction score

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
yup, there's an article in the news section regarding this

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score

William_04_x

Reaction score
The new ugly gold headphone icon for "play music" sucks too.

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums

xmguy

Reaction score
Yep... Google renamed the market... it's now called 'Play Store' Mine updated earlier today... the original icon evaporated from the home screen... so I put the 'Play Store' one back :)

Goodbye Android Market, Hello Google Play – Droid Life

I think it's a stupid name. Like Netflix wanting to spinoff into Quikster. Android Market name has legacy. Play Apps. Play Books and Play music. Sounds really crazy too me. Not all apps are "play". Not all books are audio as in play. Though I never used any other service but the app store. I think Google may regret changing the market to this. I'm not even using, nor do I care to use the unified market/store. I don't download music, books or movies. Just apps. I'm running the 2.3.8 old market. Blocked all ota market updates.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This makes me feel like I'm in the Playstation Network store or some Sony name something for some reason.. not a fan of it. But, oh well I suppose.

xmguy

Reaction score
This makes me feel like I'm in the Playstation Network store or some Sony name something for some reason.. not a fan of it. But, oh well I suppose.

When I heard the name that is EXACTLY what I thought. Like Sony Xperia Play. I'm shocked Sony isn't suing for calling the market "play". I don't know.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!