Goodbye to Sirius?

tam5070

Reaction score
There's another service called Last.fm that also offers a slick app/widget for the Droid X. It's the same as pandora although I think it does the job better (no skip limit, memorizes all the songs youve ever listened to to build your stations better, etc...).

I have it fully integrated with my two iPods and my my mac to listen to any music I ever play digitally.
Last.fm ? the Blog · Last.fm on Android

OP
W

Warner

Reaction score
If you're streaming does that mean calls go straight to voicemail?

Not while it's in the car dock, at least. I was driving yesterday listening to Pandora when a call came in. The call interrupted the music and let me answer the call. Pretty slick!

Warner

dangerous

Reaction score
I did the same thing when I got my Droid....the only thing I miss now is Howard Stern...

Sadly, i hope this is howards last year, then i can cancel my Sirius.. I basically record Thursdays and listen on my Stilletto during the week.

(i have XM and Sirius in my Truck).

Arcstriker

Reaction score
screw satellite

I've gotten rid of Satellite radio awhile ago. The Droid X can stream a few programs that will give you music when u need it most. In your car... On top of that BANG you got your GPS NAV system, as well as your phone. SO here you are driving down the road blasting Pandora, IHEARTRADIO, Slacker Radio or plain out MP3s when "ring" incoming call. You take the call, and then back to the tunes. You'll never miss a call because the radio was too loud. ALSO same time the GPS is telling you to take a right up ahead... The music pauses, the GPS says its thing, and then the music comes back. EVEN better. Your driving down the road, blasting tunes... the phone rings... your in the MIDDLE of a call, and your turn is coming up. The GPS will tell you in your ear/speaker... Can your Satellite radio do ANY of that... other than play music sometimes depending on tree coverage

OP
W

Warner

Reaction score
I've gotten rid of Satellite radio awhile ago. The Droid X can stream a few programs that will give you music when u need it most. In your car... On top of that BANG you got your GPS NAV system, as well as your phone. SO here you are driving down the road blasting Pandora, IHEARTRADIO, Slacker Radio or plain out MP3s when "ring" incoming call. You take the call, and then back to the tunes. You'll never miss a call because the radio was too loud. ALSO same time the GPS is telling you to take a right up ahead... The music pauses, the GPS says its thing, and then the music comes back. EVEN better. Your driving down the road, blasting tunes... the phone rings... your in the MIDDLE of a call, and your turn is coming up. The GPS will tell you in your ear/speaker... Can your Satellite radio do ANY of that... other than play music sometimes depending on tree coverage

Which GPS app do you like the best? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Warner

Arcstriker

Reaction score
Gps app

I use Google Maps... Its great because you can push the search button>Mic> then just say what it is your looking for example "Navigate to Bank of America" and it will give you directions to the closed bank. or you can say "Map of Chinese Restaurant and it will pop up a map of places to choose from. Pick one. long press on it bang, you can either get the phone number and call in your order, or navigate to it using the turn by turn directions... its the greatest. Even in my own town I found places I didn't know where there with this thing. It also gives you reviews on a lot of places too.

howald10

Reaction score
think you'll miss Howard Stern ?

try listening to Opie and Anthony on the Virus station.
you'll never go back to Howard. I've got old love for Howard, but I got sick of no more Artie. the show is dead, plus he's a hypocryte.
he says F-the FCC, but then promotes Obama. wow..talk about promoting everything you stand against. later Howie...time to retire.
O & A rule.!!

dangerous

Reaction score
try listening to Opie and Anthony on the Virus station.
you'll never go back to Howard. I've got old love for Howard, but I got sick of no more Artie. the show is dead, plus he's a hypocryte.
he says F-the FCC, but then promotes Obama. wow..talk about promoting everything you stand against. later Howie...time to retire.
O & A rule.!!

What number are they on? might as well give 'em a try. I agree with the artie thing and the Hypocrat thing. Hell, O will get all of his money too.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had XM since it launched....Still see no reason to get rid of it...

It depends upon what you want in a radio. I too have had Xm for sometime now and it's got to do with the quality of programming. If you just want to listen to music and you don't care about the artistry of radio, and there is an art to it then Pandora and such is fine. If you're a musical snob who likes music to paint a picture, then XM would be more to your liking. I'm the kind of guy who likes it put together in nice sets with information about the artists. XM is the way to go for me.

Howard Stern was funny 20 years ago.

howald10

Reaction score
O & a

OPIE & ANTHONY are on sirius xm...I think I had to upgrade to the premium package to get them. they are listed under the Comedy category. the channel is called THE VIRUS. Lil' Jimmy Norton is the sidekick he's as quick and as witty as Artie...when he's not there...they have Patrice O'neil as a backup. The only thing I don't like about Patrice is every time he's on...it's usually about RACE. He's a black comic that tries to roll with racism on both sides...it get's old sometimes...but it NEVER stopped me from listening....yet.
Also...try listening to Andrew Wilkow on sirius Patriot channel....you wanna wake up call ?? listen to that guy at 3pm.

Auditor_Kevin

Reaction score
Theres an Android app for Sirius now.

Problem solved.

Not entirely. No Howard Stern on that app.

And I agree with other posters, the show has lost a step since Artie left. I don't get it either. There are several people that could fill in (even just on a temporary basis) that would be hilarious, and add a layer of stories that would prevent Howard from going on his 143rd rant about American Idol or his therapist. The show lost almost all of its testosterone when Artie left.

And I also agree on Stern's show being hypocrticical.

They left regular radio because the government was telling them what to do.........and now Robin spends a good chunk of her "news" advocating for the forcible BANNING of salt in restaurants.

It's not ok for the government to tell them what to say...........but it's perfectly fine for the government to tell me how much salt I can have on my dinner? No.

Jamb

Reaction score
I installed Sirius yesterday and wow the DX is sooo cool, I have Sirius in car,PC,DX it's every where I go!:icon_ banana:dancedroid:heart:

Schimm

Reaction score
Stern talked this week about negotiations with Sirius including going to three days per week. Archived shows would fill the extra time. He's getting older and doesn't want the daily grind any longer. Stern is a cheap monthly add on....if he was more expensive I'd drop him in a second as O and A are also good. Ron and Fez are better than both IMO though they come on later in the morning.

Reaction score
Well, since I got this Droid X and started messing around with it, I have an idea. I bought the car dock today after messing with (and signing up for) Pandora a litttle bit. I have a lot left to learn about it (both the droid and pandora), but I'm starting to think I can get rid of my Sirius radio (and subscription) and use the Droid with either MP3's or Pandora. The only thing that I'd really be missing would be Howard Stern.....and he's talking about leaving soon anyway. Does anyone use Pandora exclusively in their cars? Anyone have any good Pandora tips or stations?

Let me know and thanks,

Warner

Howard's been talking about retiring for the last 10 years. Though he sounds more sirius (heh, cheap pun) about it these days, he will probably stick around if they offer him the right contract.

You have to understand something... SiriusXM have the money to pay him and the ability to give him most of the type of deal he hints at (minus the not showing up part) and the company is actually starting to turn around financially.

I will be sticking around to see what happens. Even if he DOESN'T stay, I might keep my account active just for the talk shows and the special artist interviews and stuff. I like that sort of thing along with my commercial free music.