Goodbye illegal tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
One free song or 50, it is the same. I tether a few times a month, no big deal. I payed for hotspot. Either way, using the net as you see fit is against the law. I simply extend my net from my device to a bigger screen. If that is frowned upon, so be it. I lOVE the development of tether programs. I am going to donate 10 to each, this thread reminded me how awesome a rooted droid is. Entitled? Please ....

Yes...entitled. I tether very rarely, but if Verizon comes at me and charges me I'm not going to sit here and whine about unlimited and blah blah blah and try to deflect responsibility elsewhere. The people who are entitled will swear up and down that they are allowed to do this because they have unlimited and "it's my phone i can do whatever i want, even knowingly violate TOS and expect not to get in trouble!". it's almost sad how they have lied to themselves and told themselves that what they're doing is ok, when we all know they wouldn't dare mention it to vzw haha...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read every word on my contact now. Tethering isn't mentioned, it is on my old blackberry contract.

Is it possible it wasnt addressed specifically at the time?

~*Sent from a Galaxy far, far away*~

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses. Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Source: Terms & Conditions

Reaction score
I wish they would either

(A) Limit your data but allow you to use it how ever you want. Say $30 for 3gb and free tethering but you pay for every GB after you 3gb

...or

(B) Add a small amount of tethering for free. Like $30 for unlimited data on you phone + 250mb tethering and $20 if you need more data.

Imo this would be reasonable and would be good for people like me who don't tether enough to be worth the $20. I bet I use less then 50MB tethering per month and I don't fell like pay $20 for it.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I've read every word on my contact now. Tethering isn't mentioned, it is on my old blackberry contract.

Is it possible it wasnt addressed specifically at the time?

I have seen that tethering was actually ok on the old blackberrys, but now tethering is a no no. As far as rooting per the supreme court its not illegal but as I stated before vzw will void your warranty if they find you rooted your phone
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Theres No way to tell if you tether or you just is a person who uses there phone too much i tether once in awhile about 4 times a week I use about 1 gb every time I compared it to my buddys phone is Fully stock not rooted nothing & we use the same data in a month I use on average 25gb a month he uses 23Gb a month & he also does not use & tethering app from the market so ....I would like to know how they plan to detect tethers out there

IDK much about the IoS but would not surprise me that STEVE JOBS had something hidden in THE IOS to detect tethers

CD95YJ

Reaction score
There have been post from employees of vzw who state they can tell if you tether or not. The packets pulled from say a laptop are going to be different than ones pulled from your phone. That's why sites develop a mobile version for phones...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
In regards to knowing how/if you are tethering or not, I have spoken to my aunt about this. She has been an IT professional with Case Western Reserve University for over 15 years now.

She couldn't definitively state how a mobile network operates, but if you allow for the same basic principles since it is all on an IP based network, it is very trackable.

The phone could possibly have logs or data within the packets generated by using a tethering service that shows, in some way, that data is being sent/received not straight from the phone itself but rather to/from the other device(s) you have connected.

It reminds me of an email header that has been badly spoofed, and instead of showing a purely faked server it will show the fake server as well as the actual server the email came from...

This is all speculative. I don't know for sure. Is anybody here a wireless company technician?

Jeyman

Reaction score
Theres No way to tell if you tether or you just is a person who uses there phone too much i tether once in awhile about 4 times a week I use about 1 gb every time I compared it to my buddys phone is Fully stock not rooted nothing & we use the same data in a month I use on average 25gb a month he uses 23Gb a month & he also does not use & tethering app from the market so ....I would like to know how they plan to detect tethers out there

IDK much about the IoS but would not surprise me that STEVE JOBS had something hidden in THE IOS to detect tethers

How does a stock phone use that much data? I may hit 10GB once in a blue moon when I heavy tether(Foot ball games when I am at work..) but I almost never even hit 5gb/month when its any other time of the year.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally don't use it enough to care, nor do I believe they can tell other than usage on the account.

I call as always: If your dumb enough to tether stupidly, such as 10-20 movies and other files totalling 30Gb when your "normal" mobile usage is 5-7Gb, then you deserve to get the email warning.

There is no separate logon when you use wi fi tether other than your device to the tethering program, the data shows as what was pushed to the phone, they have no method for determining where the data went after that, just as VZ can't query my modem/router and determine how many devices are wi fi / wired to it as well.

Those who do have usernames are using legitamite apps for tethering, and those apps report usage so you can be BILLED.

End stage, they simply sent targeted emails to those whose usage spiked upwards and hope the scare tactic works. Seems to be working as evidenced by the number of sites/threads on the topic.

Tether wisely, and thou shalt not be bothered by big red.

Vyvid

Reaction score
Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses. Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Source: Terms & Conditions[/QUOTE]

I know it's in the current tos, but the contact I signed back then surely has some differences.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
If you don't chew Big Red, then forget You!

As quoted from Talladega Nights.

Last edited by a moderator:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
of course they can tell you're tethering. it amazes me that people think that a company like verizon would not be able to tell if you're using their network in a way that they didn't intend. that they would just trust their millions of customers not to violate their TOS. They can tell what browser you're using, they can analyze packet data. Will they do this for light tether-ers? Highly doubtful, but if you're using 50GB a month and they start cracking down, trust me you will be the first ones they look at haha...

People need to stop thinking that they can somehow dupe a multibillion dollar corporation haha....this reminds me of people thinking that if they use an internet proxy that they are completely anonymous and there is no way they can be traced...

frostthejack

Reaction score
My plan says unlimited data throttling it down means its not unlimited on top of that they should be charging for various data speeds not quantity used. Imagine if your landline internet started charging by the gb

More and more people are using there phone's as there ISP. Carriers need to catch on and do something about it. They could charge 30 dollars for unlimited 3g including tethering and 50 for 4g unlimited including tethering. Both prices are far above what you would pay on a landline for those speeds.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
My plan says unlimited data throttling it down means its not unlimited on top of that they should be charging for various data speeds not quantity used. Imagine if your landline internet started charging by the gb

More and more people are using there phone's as there ISP. Carriers need to catch on and do something about it. They could charge 30 dollars for unlimited 3g including tethering and 50 for 4g unlimited including tethering. Both prices are far above what you would pay on a landline for those speeds.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Your plan doesnt say unlimited tethering (no matter how badly you want it to).

Status
Not open for further replies.