ATT Going after tether-ers

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
well

I agree. But the problem is, most people, usually people that never use their phones or people who hate rooting because they have never tried it, believe that tiered data is the way to go for everybody, since they use no data. I think its also safe to say that these same people are Liberals because they like Verizon controlling how we use the features we pay for.

MIUI

and thats all i have to say on that :)

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe that there is nothing wrong with tethering without a data plan, here are my reasons. For one I pay for unlimited data for a reason, but I also dont download all kinds of music and its only for an emergency. Using it to tether your xbox or ps3 is uncalled for.

I will say this if this conversation turns ugly it will be shut down and infractions will be issued. Carry on gentlemen!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe that there is nothing wrong with tethering without a data plan, here are my reasons. For one I pay for unlimited data for a reason, but I also dont download all kinds of music and its only for an emergency. Using it to tether your xbox or ps3 is uncalled for.

I will say this if this conversation turns ugly it will be shut down and infractions will be issued. Carry on gentlemen!

That's fine and I agree. It doesn't/shouldn't matter what uses the data, as long as you aren't just taking advantage of it. Like taking a to go box to a buffet.

MIUI

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
dad never lets us have any fun :)

OH dad never said that!! Just keep it civil, and have fun! There is no need for an argument, opinion are like.... well you know how that saying goes!:icon_ banana:

If you completed that last statement, I was gonna track you down and punch you in the face! ;)

Gotta be the most over used phrase on the interwebz.

MIUI

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Wow, some of AT&Ts policies are starting to make Verizon actually look like the nice carrier. I feel bad for my friend who just got AT&T, I tried to warn him.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dad never lets us have any fun :)

OH dad never said that!! Just keep it civil, and have fun! There is no need for an argument, opinion are like.... well you know how that saying goes!:icon_ banana:

If you completed that last statement, I was gonna track you down and punch you in the face! ;)

Gotta be the most over used phrase on the interwebz.

MIUI

That's the most over used phrase everywhere!!

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
it wasnt you too i was annoyed at :) i understand their stance.
i just dont like someone talking to some like they are a piece of trash because they are tethering.
I dont think it should be used as an isp especially if you do have alternatives.
I dont have any land based internet. so I looked at my options. I went to tmobile for their 4g hotspot. and payed tethering for the g2x so i can get internet . kinda sucks only having 15 gigs amonth. :)
i use the droid to watch netflix, but dont tether since its just 3g and service here for verizon actually sucks.
so dont have a problem with them charging. but for someone to say well i did it but now you blankers ruined it for me. just irks me.

It just annoys me, all these people that are on wifi all the time and use 1 gig. Then they say, well, I must not use any data at all. Everybody should be able to use less than 2 gigs of data. You use more than that and you are a data hog because its impossible without tethering.

MIUI

But that's not what they're saying...like I said all of us here are most probably on unlimited, so it doesn't matter if you are on wifi or not. You're not going to get charged if you use two gigs or two hundred gigs on your phone whether it's wifi or 3g. That has nothing to do with anything. if you tether and replace your isp you should pay extra. There is no good reason that I would accept to justify using verizon wireless as an isp

I am glad att is doing this and I hope vzw does too...ppl who tether 50gb of torrents a month should lose their unlimited plans.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But that's not what they're saying...like I said all of us here are most probably on unlimited, so it doesn't matter if you are on wifi or not. You're not going to get charged if you use two gigs or two hundred gigs on your phone whether it's wifi or 3g. That has nothing to do with anything. if you tether and replace your isp you should pay extra. There is no good reason that I would accept to justify using verizon wireless as an isp

Amen. It was never sold as an ISP replacement, it's not even priced as an ISP replacement. Same old entitlement we always talk about - they could charge $5 for tethering and people would still be complaining about how they paid for unlimited data.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have an issue so much with people tethering, that is what it is. I have done it, most of us who have rooted have done it or atleast tried it but what I don't understand is the people who feel like tethering is somehow owed to them by the carriers. The "I pay for unlimited data" crowd so I should be able to use it for anything and everything. My cable box has nearly a thousand channels but yet when I turn on cinemax, showtime and The Movie Channel they are blacked out. I wonder if that's because it's an extra service. Do I go online and complain how since I already pay 90 bucks a month for cable they should just give me those channels for free? No, No I don't at all. You pay for unlimited data to your phone not to become a cable modem supplying your house with internet. It really is that simple. Like I said, if you want to tether, go for it, that's not the issue. The issue is the ridiculous sense of entitlement to it.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
there is the thing

Amen. It was never sold as an ISP replacement, it's not even priced as an ISP replacement. Same old entitlement we always talk about - they could charge $5 for tethering and people would still be complaining about how they paid for unlimited data.

If they charged a reasonable amount for tethering than it wouldnt be a problem. But they charge quite a bit more than 5 dollars.
But yeah as i said i didnt do it i paid for a device made for it and pay for tether on my phone with tmobile.

But its funny you talk about entitlement. the thing here is that they are punishing everyone for those doing 100gigs a month torrenting and what not.
so people that never did anything with tether will have to pay as much as we do for unlimited for 2 gigs.
How about dealing with the people abusing rather than punishing everyone from now on because of past abusers.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
well stated

I don't have an issue so much with people tethering, that is what it is. I have done it, most of us who have rooted have done it or atleast tried it but what I don't understand is the people who feel like tethering is somehow owed to them by the carriers. The "I pay for unlimited data" crowd so I should be able to use it for anything and everything. My cable box has nearly a thousand channels but yet when I turn on cinemax, showtime and The Movie Channel they are blacked out. I wonder if that's because it's an extra service. Do I go online and complain how since I already pay 90 bucks a month for cable they should just give me those channels for free? No, No I don't at all. You pay for unlimited data to your phone not to become a cable modem supplying your house with internet. It really is that simple. Like I said, if you want to tether, go for it, that's not the issue. The issue is the ridiculous sense of entitlement to it.

this is the most accurate statement. but like i said why shoudl those that havent done it now be punished by having their on phone usage decreased because of these abusers.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

If they charged a reasonable amount for tethering than it wouldnt be a problem. But they charge quite a bit more than 5 dollars.
But yeah as i said i didnt do it i paid for a device made for it and pay for tether on my phone with tmobile.

But its funny you talk about entitlement. the thing here is that they are punishing everyone for those doing 100gigs a month torrenting and what not.
so people that never did anything with tether will have to pay as much as we do for unlimited for 2 gigs.
How about dealing with the people abusing rather than punishing everyone from now on because of past abusers.

As long as we keep paying our verizon bills, they will never worry about pricing and will most likely continue to change prices. Unless by some biblical sized miracle people form an organized strike (which will never happen) they will continue to hit us in the pockets. That's just business.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would be one thing if VZ offered an actual tethering plan. $20 for 2 gigs is a slap in the face. Atleast you can get unlimited tethering for $30 with a 4G phone (which isn't unlimited probably, since Verizon likes to put terms on their unlimited definition)

MIUI