Golden Age of Cell Phones

pkilla

Reaction score
I feel like we are in a "Golden Age of Cell Phones". I remember a few years ago when "good" smart phones was hard to find. It was all about Palm Treos vs. windows mobile phones.

I used to hate verizons lineup of smart phones. I didn't want a Razor I wanted a phone that can do everything. My Samsung i730 was great!(remember that phone?)

Now with Apple, Droids, and soon to come Windows Phone I am so exited about all the embracing of great phones by all the carriers. I feel like the cell phone market is really hitting their stride.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
smartphones are the future, it's about time USA started adopting this "lifestyle". Korea, Japan, even China, all have phones with pretty much the same capabilities for years.

Only problem is we're developing too fast i think, i mean the Incredible and Eris already out of development, nowhere even close to a year....

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Inc is a rumor, that wound being up its was getting a new box and sd card added so they retired the old stocking number.

The Eris probably had to with sales. Thats in any industry. If u look at the Eris and the Inc, why would one get the Eris? The Inc. basically retired it.

But u right about golden age. Whoever is in the market for a phone right now, is like a kid at Christmas time.

Last edited:

pmc2025

Reaction score
This is definitely the dawn of the age of the Cell Phone. I think the 90s was the dawn of the personal computer, and much in the same way that laptops are now ubiquitous, I think that in the next 10 years we will see a market transformation to a smartphone-centric ecosystem. Really, I think that Android and (as much as it hurts to say) iOS are the parents of this new era, and from this point on, I think that the two will begin to dominate the market unless a viable third alternative is born.

Viva la Evolucion!

nooter99

Reaction score
"Golden age of cell phones"...."Palm Treo, windows mobile phones"...hmmm, I guess I'm considered ancient, I used to own a "bag phone"!!! You youngsters can Google that one!! LOL!

Darkseider

Reaction score
I commented on this elsewhere but I will chime in here as well. Right now smartphones are evolving into something new. With a huge increase in adoption and use as well as the constant improvement of hardware and software it is very reminiscent of the CPU wars between Intel and AMD a few years back. Within the next 3 - 5 years the smartphone will become the standard for mobile computing and communication and tablets/MIDs based on the same technologies with slightly more features/performance will become a companion device. Laptops/Netbooks will start to go the way of the Dodo and desktops while still having a place for high end computing will eventually be replaced by something like this:

1. Smartphone w/ multi-core cpu, 1 Gig RAM, SDcard, whatever

2. Dock w/ additional SoC and discrete GPU, HDMI Out, BT connectivity, Wireless B/G/N, USB, fixed storage, additional RAM.

3. Multi-Mode OS that recognizes dock and activates/integrates additional hardware turning smartphone into desktop PC.

4. Data transfer, document creation, editing, gaming, etc... Everything on current desktop can be done. When finished. Sync documents, contacts, whatever you need to smartphone.

5. Remove smartphone from dock and OS reverts back to a "Mobile Mode" utilizing the hardware present only in the device itself. All data is synced and you are out and about.

6. Don't ask where or how I came up with this. Let's just say... it's coming.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't ask where or how I came up with this. Let's just say... it's coming.

It's rather obvious. Once the cell phone is powerful enough for the average user's everyday computing everything else just becomes "dumb" terminals.

But probably still too early to rule out a PS3 or XBox serving as the centerpiece of home entertainment. You don't really need all that power/capability to be mobile.

That was my thought a few years ago, anyway, but it seems like Sony and MS have kind of missed the boat there. Thought for sure, especially with Sony's included Blu-ray, that both were trojan horses to ultimately control your home. Crank up those systems to include a DVR and VoIP and you carve out a pretty defensible position, especially since neither system is that far away from being a legit home PC replacement.

ewells2420

Reaction score

It's rather obvious. Once the cell phone is powerful enough for the average user's everyday computing everything else just becomes "dumb" terminals.

But probably still too early to rule out a PS3 or XBox serving as the centerpiece of home entertainment. You don't really need all that power/capability to be mobile.

That was my thought a few years ago, anyway, but it seems like Sony and MS have kind of missed the boat there. Thought for sure, especially with Sony's included Blu-ray, that both were trojan horses to ultimately control your home. Crank up those systems to include a DVR and VoIP and you carve out a pretty defensible position, especially since neither system is that far away from being a legit home PC replacement.

I know right, he acts like he has some sorta super insight into the future.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Wow. Just wow. Here I thought I would share some information in a somewhat inconspicuous way and I have you two wunderkinds chiming in. As for DVR on the PS3 ummm... been out for a LONG time. PS3 Play TV has been out in Europe and Japan for quite some time. Sony is currently working on Play TV2 which is due to release in the US as well. As for VoIP Jajah for the PS3 has been around since sometime in 2007. So ummm... yeah. Thanks for playing.

Taegost

Reaction score

Wow. Just wow. Here I thought I would share some information in a somewhat inconspicuous way and I have you two wunderkinds chiming in. As for DVR on the PS3 ummm... been out for a LONG time. PS3 Play TV has been out in Europe and Japan for quite some time. Sony is currently working on Play TV2 which is due to release in the US as well. As for VoIP Jajah for the PS3 has been around since sometime in 2007. So ummm... yeah. Thanks for playing.

What's really funny as well... Is that it wasn't a Trojan Horse for them to be the centerpiece... Both companies said right out the gate that they envisioned the future of the two consoles to be far more then just a video game platform, but a full multi-media center of the home...
Which is how the 360 got it's name, because it is to encompass the full 360 rotation of entertainment in the home :)

Gonzo

Reaction score
Cell phones a few years down the road are going to be ridiculous..