Going to Mexico... Verizon issues?

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken a non-global phone to Mexico? Specifically Cancun?

I don't know what service is like there.

I just signed up for Google Voice so at least my family can contact me without having to call international. I was planning to add the hotels number to my Google voice list.

BigTex71

Reaction score
No Verizon data there... only roaming calls. At least that is what is was last year. Be careful, roaming can get expensive.

BigTex71

Reaction score
I also found this: Contact your current wireless provider: Due to fraud concerns, most cell phone carriers require you to contact them prior to using your cell phone in Mexico. Generally speaking, this is an easy thing to do, but it is a necessary step.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
correct you need to call verizon wireless have them enable international roaming so the phone will work down there... this is free

then in mexico it will be 99 cents a min..

are you going down on a cruise ship or just flying?

because verizon wireless has a flat fate while on cruise ships thats 2.49 per min... and 50 cents per text.

Last edited:
OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
We're flying down. We only need the phone for emergencies but I'd rather be prepared than not.

I'm glad I decided to post this because I had no clue that I had to let Verizon know!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We're flying down. We only need the phone for emergencies but I'd rather be prepared than not.

I'm glad I decided to post this because I had no clue that I had to let Verizon know!

i found that out the hard way the 1st time.... had to use a hotel phone to call verizon wireless customer service..

now when i activate a new phone i immediatly ask them to enable international roaming because im out of the country so much.

jay80z

Reaction score
i just went to cancun this past may with my verizon phone.

i didn't use any talking minutes, only used text messaging. i don't remember any huge spikes in the bill.

have a nice trip.

BigTex71

Reaction score
i just went to cancun this past may with my verizon phone.

i didn't use any talking minutes, only used text messaging. i don't remember any huge spikes in the bill.

have a nice trip.
Text messaging uses a delivery method in the same class as voice, rather than a data connection. Hence the ability to send text messages when data service is not available. Good to know you didn't seem to have inflated prices for those texts. :)