Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Romple

Gday all,

When I first got my Palm Treo, someone told me that I could get stock quotes. I tried it and then turned off the phone.

Awhile later, I got my phone bill for over $1600!

Seems that when I turned the phone off, I did not turn the program off and it kept looking for emails

So that charge was for extra minutes used.

I fought with them for 4 months. Gave all the reps the story how I have house phone, internet and wireless all with Verizon, and for many years etc

After 4 mos of trying they finally gave me a credit

a credit of $50

They just do NOT care, so save yourself the trouble. Either suck it up and continue with them, as I did, or switch.

its not that they don't care, they provided you with a service, why does everyone have a problem understanding this. Because of iresponsiblity they should let things slide? I dont get it.

I think what people also fail to understand is that when you're roaming, you're literally on another provider network. That provider charges Verizon because of you using their network. Verizon charges you to recover that cost, and make a profit on top of that.

If someone walked into your house and made long distance phone calls I'm sure you'd like for them to give you the money for the bill...

jozhua

Reaction score
Why are all you guys so against making the information more easily available. There is no downside that I can see. That is my main point in this ridiculous argument. What is wrong with having sales reps explain things more clearly when a user signs a contract?

@carbonoid in reference to my use of "fancy". Once again my saracasm is missed. If you can't recognize obvious sarcastic remarks maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you. See what I did there? Eh?

maybe if you provided a small warning on each post warning us, (like you would have Verizon do)

Putting warnings on everything "you're roaming", "you're data is always on", you are texting too much", "you are talking to much" is akin to putting "don't tip the Coke machine, it could fall on you and kill you"

The stupidfication of society

May I ask why you are so blatantly against the consumer in this instance when in other threads, you freely admit to tethering? According to some, by tethering you are increasing costs to other users since you are using more bandwidth. This is also a violation of your contract with Verizon. I have a feeling you will claim that since there was ignorance on the side of the OP, he should be forced to pay and learn from his mistake. I would argue that by you full well knowing that you are violating your contract, you are a worse offender, consciously trying to get something for free when you could easily purchase an aircard from Verizon and use that.

I also think that if you got hit with a $20.48 per MB charge for tethering, you would be singing a different tune altogether ;)

ricks

Reaction score
It was a great ending. The way it should have ended. Good for you

since when has not wanting to pay for charges incurred, been considered the way it should have ended....

the way it should have ended was, he should have paid the bill that his mother racked up.....

do parents of kids who text too much get to get out of paying their increased bill "because the kids didn't know about the limits"?

Whose fault is it the kids don't know?
Whose fault was it mother didn't know?

I'm sorry it was an ignorant mistake, I don't think she did it on purpose or anything, but bottom line is she is responsible for the activity she does on it.

It was a charge that was way too high for the average user to ring up. If this person had several months of roaming data charges in the past I would feel different. Verizon screwed me once and I canceled my contract.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
Why are all you guys so against making the information more easily available. There is no downside that I can see. That is my main point in this ridiculous argument. What is wrong with having sales reps explain things more clearly when a user signs a contract?

@carbonoid in reference to my use of "fancy". Once again my saracasm is missed. If you can't recognize obvious sarcastic remarks maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you. See what I did there? Eh?

maybe if you provided a small warning on each post warning us, (like you would have Verizon do)

Putting warnings on everything "you're roaming", "you're data is always on", you are texting too much", "you are talking to much" is akin to putting "don't tip the Coke machine, it could fall on you and kill you"

The stupidfication of society

May I ask why you are so blatantly against the consumer in this instance when in other threads, you freely admit to tethering? According to some, by tethering you are increasing costs to other users since you are using more bandwidth. This is also a violation of your contract with Verizon. I have a feeling you will claim that since there was ignorance on the side of the OP, he should be forced to pay and learn from his mistake. I would argue that by you full well knowing that you are violating your contract, you are a worse offender, consciously trying to get something for free when you could easily purchase an aircard from Verizon and use that.

I also think that if you got hit with a $20.48 per MB charge for tethering, you would be singing a different tune altogether ;)

Thats life. People download and steal music all the time. They know the law, and they are breaking it. You want to do that, go ahead, but u know what will happen if you get caught, because, once again it goes back to......................................................................................................................................................................Whats in the contract.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
It was a great ending. The way it should have ended. Good for you

since when has not wanting to pay for charges incurred, been considered the way it should have ended....

the way it should have ended was, he should have paid the bill that his mother racked up.....

do parents of kids who text too much get to get out of paying their increased bill "because the kids didn't know about the limits"?

I'm sorry it was an ignorant mistake, I don't think she did it on purpose or anything, but bottom line is she is responsible for the activity she does on it.

It was a charge that was way too high for the average user to ring up. If this person had several months of roaming data charges in the past I would feel different. Verizon screwed me once and I canceled my contract.

It sounds like you were iresponsible once, and learned your lesson, and now are either prepaid or on another carrier.

ricks

Reaction score

It sounds like you were iresponsible once, and learned your lesson, and now are either prepaid or on another carrier.

I got bad customer service and cancelled my contract and I went on someones family share plan and I am saving over 30 bucks a month. It made me feel better. Verizon begged me to come back. It was great to decline them.

snappingfish

Reaction score
and it sounds like

It kinda sounds like you might be a sergeant-at-arms in a fourth grade somewhere, just drooling for the chance to levy a 'lesson' to someone who makes a mistake. You have kept this thread going by continuously reminding people that even if it WAS a mistake, that they should expect NO kindness from strangers, or in this case, VZW, no matter what. Does it sicken you if someone tells you to 'have a good day?'

Jus' sayin' is all!

mactechnm

Reaction score
Regarding whether I have the ability to remove charges, to a point, yes, we do. However, any amount over a certain dollar amount will need to go to a manager for approval, and you can bet that I better have a good explanation. I WILL be asked, "did the customer actually use the data?" If my answer is yes, nine times out of ten, the answer from my Supervisor will be "tough". As I originally mentioned, the customer must take responsibility. It doesn't matter if his mom 'didn't know' that data was being used. If my wife 'doesn't know' the cost of electricity, and racks up a $400 electric bill because she had the AC running 24/7, am I not still responsible to pay the bill?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
25 pages of the same argument that started on page 1. I Then its time to close this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.